Special Overdrive - not really loving it?

Just finished another build! This time I did the Special Overdrive. It looks great (to me) but there is a fizzy top end as the notes decay. Is this typical for this pedal? Any idea what modifications you would do to help smooth this out? My other dumble-eque pedal build (zendrive) doesn't have that issue, but I know the gain structures are set up differently. The only variance from the build docs that I made was to use a low noise 2N5088 (BC549 eq.) instead of the BC548B that was spec'd. Datasheets look basically equivalent, I did remember to flip them 180 degrees.

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2672.JPG

Looks like it's basically a Tubescreamer with the feedback diodes lifted and more lower frequencies added back in. It's the opamp clipping. I'd recommend using a A500K gain pot and a pair of clipping diodes across C5.

Do you have a sound clip you can upload? What you hear may be totally normal: I have Gladio and there is definitely a sizzle in the top end when you dig in hard on the strings. I actually quite like it. You can also try picking more gently or using the volume knob to see if it goes away.

No sound clip - but I definitely think it is normal after listening to a couple demos of the original Dumbloid and examples of different kinds of clipping. Just don't think it's for me. On the plus side, if it is for you then this thing sounds exactly like the original - based on the demos I'm watching.

No sound clip - but I definitely think it is normal after listening to a couple demos of the original Dumbloid and examples of different kinds of clipping. Just don't think it's for me. On the plus side, if it is for you then this thing sounds exactly like the original - based on the demos I'm watching

it’s a popular drive so I bet you won’t be out of pocket if you flip it.

I love building pedals but really there are very, very few I end up using consistently. I end up with a small group of favourites that get all the play. And those favourites are generally quite modified by the time they become a fixture on my board. That's just how it is. As JamieJ says you can probably sell any pedals you don't like easily enough. After a while you get guys pestering your for a new hit...

I love building pedals but really there are very, very few I end up using consistently. I end up with a small group of favourites that get all the play. And those favourites are generally quite modified by the time they become a fixture on my board. That's just how it is. As JamieJ says you can probably sell any pedals you don't like easily enough. After a while you get guys pestering your for a new hit...
Thanks, that's probably what I'll end up doing after shooting them out. Do you just use reverb for that or is there a better spot for handmade stuff?

Oh I don't sell anything online. I just happen to know people from playing. Where I live there are one or two players who are particularly gear-oriented and they'll sometimes grab some pedals from me to try and then see someone else who will want to buy a pedal they borrowed. They keep in touch on FB and places like that too. I can't stand FB so am totally out of touch in that realm. But a lot of gear gets bought and sold by word of mouth here. If I want to sell a guitar I'll sometimes mention it to a guy I know and he'll put the word out... It's a cool system!

Alright so I modded the pedal and added a symmetric clipping section and asymmetric clipping section on a toggle switch and now this pedal has come alive. Symmetric clipping with the LED's just smooths out those fizzy decays, and then the asymmetric clipping with the zener diodes gives a nice compression and more distortion, I put this in the modifications page if anyone is curious. One of the guys sells PCB's to add this type of circuit, but I just wanted to try to make my own, and honestly surprised at how easy it was! First time using stripboard and first time modding a pedal. IMG_2721.JPG

Congrats on turning your pedal into something unique and special to you!

Oh I don't sell anything online. I just happen to know people from playing. Where I live there are one or two players who are particularly gear-oriented and they'll sometimes grab some pedals from me to try and then see someone else who will want to buy a pedal they borrowed. They keep in touch on FB and places like that too. I can't stand FB so am totally out of touch in that realm. But a lot of gear gets bought and sold by word of mouth here. If I want to sell a guitar I'll sometimes mention it to a guy I know and he'll put the word out... It's a cool system!

PPCB-NEWS EXCLUSIVE:
A look inside the Gear Mafia of Perth.

"I know a guy..."

Just finished another build! This time I did the Special Overdrive. It looks great (to me) but there is a fizzy top end as the notes decay. Is this typical for this pedal? Any idea what modifications you would do to help smooth this out? My other dumble-eque pedal build (zendrive) doesn't have that issue, but I know the gain structures are set up differently. The only variance from the build docs that I made was to use a low noise 2N5088 (BC549 eq.) instead of the BC548B that was spec'd. Datasheets look basically equivalent, I did remember to flip them 180 degrees.

View attachment 13572

View attachment 13573

View attachment 13572

View attachment 13573
You mentioned flipping your 2n5088's...

On the BC549B's I used, I kept the same orientation because the pinout documents I found showed the same as the BC548B... Had me worried for a minute I'd messed up

Back