Steggo Builds Another Vintage Fuzz - PedalPCB Octa Mayer

Fingolfen

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I hadn't planned to finish up two vintage fuzz pedals in rapid succession, but sometimes that's just how things line up.

PedalPCB - Octa M - Archaeopteryx - 01.jpg

For this build I started with the amazingly clean (Aside - I mean seriously Robert... this is next level clean!!! Having now laid out a few of my own boards I'm still in awe!) PedalPCB Octa Mayer PCB. Since this was a vintage effect, I decided to try going with mostly vintage or vintage style parts for this particular build. The resistors are all new, but they are carbon film resistors. I'd also seen some photos of the internals of vintage units with ceramic capacitors, so I hit up my local vintage component store and stocked up. Apart from the polarity protection diode, the diodes, transistors, and electrolytic capacitors are all new production, though. Getting the board populated was a dream because all of the resistors and diodes were in really neat rows - meaning I could literally populate all of them and then solder. I then followed with the capacitors and finally the transistors.

PedalPCB - Octa M - Archaeopteryx - 02.jpg

The board is fairly tiny, and although PedalPCB lists this as a 125B build, I wonder if it might fit into the smaller 1590B enclosure as well. Honestly I prefer the larger enclosure, but it seems like it may be a candidate. I was initially going to put the LED at the top between and below the knobs (and that's how I tested the pedal originally, but once I figure out the enclosure art, I realized the LED would need to move. So I swapped out the original LED on the PCB with a jumper and went to my 3PDT daughter board with LED functionality. Per my normal practice, the main board is connected to the daughter board with ribbon cable. All of the jack connections are made with aviation grade wire from Tube Depot and are insulated with heat shrink tubing.

PedalPCB - Octa M - Archaeopteryx - 03.jpg

As this is a classic pedal, I figured I'd go with a true classic among dinosaurs, the Archaeopteryx! The art is some that I licensed from Adobe, and is from the same set I used for my Steggovibe pedal. The original art was just a black and white line drawing, so I had to go in and add all of the color... which took a while!

The sound of the Octavia is a bit wild and can take some time to tame - much like several other vintage and more modern fuzz pedals. However, with a little work and the right Stratocaster, you can absolutely nail the tones from "Purple Haze" - now if I could just nail the notes!

Original blog entry (with more rambling preamble and tons more info on the Archaeopteryx!): https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2024/09/another-awesome-vintage-fuzz-steggos.html

Coloring the archaeopteryx was worth the effort. It really makes the art pop!
The board is fairly tiny, and although PedalPCB lists this as a 125B build, I wonder if it might fit into the smaller 1590B enclosure as well.
The general consensus that I’ve seen around here is that boards no wider than 1.95” are good candidates for a 1590B, and this one meets than condition.

Back