Steggo's Take on the Boneyard Mona Lisa Simpson OD

Fingolfen

I'd posted just the populated PCB on the Boneyard forum - but after testing out Chuck's "Mona Lisa Simpson OD" - I knew I had to get it built up...

Silvasaurus - 01.jpg

The layout itself is fairly simple as there aren't too many components. There's only 12 resistors and 8 capacitors on the main board. Throw in a polarity protection diode, LDR, and three transistors and the part count comes out to a modest 25. Two of the transistors aren't particularly exotic - but Chuck's layout did use a NOS ex-Soviet P28 germanium transistor. I happened to have a supply of these I picked up from a friend in Ukraine so I went with it. It sounds great, and looks cool too!

Silvasaurus - 02.jpg

Any time I lay out a board, I try to include a few (or more than a few) Easter Eggs on the board. I found a Silvisaurus icon which is on the front and is repeated on the back of the PCB as well. For this board I'm using the PedalPCB offboard wiring convention with the power connections at the top of the board as well as ground pads for the audio jacks. The daughter board connections are set up for standard ribbon cable and work with my 3PDT daughter boards. The CLR and LED are on the daughter board (and the daughter board has the option for a brightness trimmer - which I didn't use on this build).

Silvasaurus - 03.jpg

As with most of my builds, I'm using Switchcraft 111X 1/4" audio jacks and a Lumberg 2.1mm DC jack. I'm not using a battery on this build, though there may have been room. Per my normal practice, I'm using heat shrink insulation on all of the jack connections. Everything fits quite neatly into the enclosure.

Silvasaurus - 04.jpg

Chuck called his version of this circuit the "Mona Lisa Simpson Overdrive" - I honestly didn't have a great dinosaur that would work with that, so I decided to go with a fun Ankylosaur, the Silvisaurus. The awesome dinosaur art is one again done by my Ukrainian friend Kate (@estelkatrin on Instagram). The rest of the enclosure is done in the Greek style I've used for a few other original designs or modifications from the Boneyard.

The pedal itself sounds great paired up with my Katana, but I haven't gotten a chance to run it through the Vox or Marshall yet. I figure that it will sound even better once I get it running through those monsters!

Original blog entry (more preamble and some dino facts): https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2024/04/an-original-layout-of-amazing-boneyard.html

Back