Stewmac parts quality

Paradox916

I’m working on an old mandolin (probably 1940s at the very newest from what I’m told). As this hold significant sentimental value for my wife I don’t want to use sub par components as the last repairs on this instrument didn’t seem to hold up, so my question to you who have done repairs of this nature like replacing a tail piece how do you find the quality of stewmac parts? or do you have a better recommendation for sourcing vintage instrument components?
IMG_0705.jpeg

IMG_0654.jpeg

From the broken edges- looks like that piece is brass? Brass is pretty nice to work with. I’d be tempted to try and drill those rivets out and DIY a replacement piece with a hacksaw and some files.
That thought did cross my mind, I’m pretty decent when it comes to metal working but if I can replace the tail piece for under $50 it doesn’t make much sense as I don’t get much free time to do these sort of things anymore so I have to really pick and chose how I spend it. I want it to be reasonably playable but it will most likely spend the majority of its life on the wall in the living room.

I don't know anything about mandolin parts but their PCBs are top notch. ;) :ROFLMAO:

The only part I think I've ordered is a Switchcraft pickup switch, but nothing StewMac brand.

I have bought a couple tools that were excellent quality. (Including the wrench to replace said pickup switch)

Last edited:
I would consider repairing it with some pins brazed brass pins into a few holes. It won’t be perfect but you will never get metal in that condition again and it maintains as much of the instrument as possible. The rivets might be easy to remove from the rear and could possibly even be reinstalled. I would file the broken parts smooth.

1712506778560.jpeg

I would consider repairing it with some pins brazed brass pins into a few holes. It won’t be perfect but you will never get metal in that condition again and it maintains as much of the instrument as possible. The rivets might be easy to remove from the rear and could possibly even be reinstalled. I would file the broken parts smooth.

View attachment 72500
Rivets and metal fab isn’t an issue. I got that covered,
IMG_0707.jpeg

But it’s not worth the time it would take to make it look decent,when parts are available and affordable, that’s why I was asking about the quality of parts,

Rivets and metal fab isn’t an issue. I got that covered,
View attachment 72501

But it’s not worth the time it would take to make it look decent,when parts are available and affordable, that’s why I was asking about the quality of parts,
Got it. Box looks nice. What I have bought from them has mostly been good. Some of it I have found the same thing much cheaper else where. Have you considered Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/2354944020...wQpikca67rRsd85h567EyatPU=|tkp:Bk9SR4qDiZfXYw

I looked at that exact tail piece but unfortunately it’s flat so it’s not going to really work due to the curvature of the body, but there are ones for a curved body.

I don't know anything about mandolin parts but their PCBs are top notch. ;) :ROFLMAO:

The only part I think I've ordered is a Switchcraft pickup switch, but nothing StewMac brand.

I have bought a couple tools that were excellent quality. (Including the wrench to replace said pickup switch)
Except their boards are Stewmac red!!! Nothing good ever became of a red PCB!

Back