Storage Questions

I currently use about 4 or 5 of these for small components:

But I want to get something like this for resistors and caps so I don’t have to search the little baggies every single time:

Geez, you all are so organized. I feel a bit ashamed.

I keep all of my pedal building supplies in these three stacked drawer containers I got from Walmart, (except for some tools I keep my soldering station). From top to bottom, it basically follows the general flow of a build, with resistors, capacitors, etc. and ICs near the top, then, as you go down, audio and power jacks and pots and switches and LEDs, then enclosures, then finally various tools for finishing the enclosure.

IMG_9309.jpeg

As far as storing resistors, I thought about getting various compartment boxes but I realize that I would want to label them and since every single build I try introduces a new resistor value I didn’t have before, I figured that would be a nightmare re-ordering everything. So I take the ultimate dirtbag approach and keep my resistors in a large Ziploc bag, but at least rubberband them into three groups – 0 ohm to 9.9K, 10K to 99.9K, and 100K and above so it’s at least a little easier to find a specific value without having to go through the whole bag of resistors.

IMG_9310.jpeg

Mike

I currently use about 4 or 5 of these for small components:

But I want to get something like this for resistors and caps so I don’t have to search the little baggies every single time:

I use those exact bins for most parts, just not resistors. I may start using them though. Who needs space, lol.

I use some of most of the suggestions here, drawers, tackle boxes, trays, sleeves, etc. Finished pedals that don't go to my board get boxed up.

I've got small-parts drawer-organisers for things such as diodes and transistors, but for resistors I'm in the bag-boat with mkstewertesq.

The small bags that the 1/4w resistors come in are sorted into their ratings:

All the Ohms up to 910Ω go in order into one larger ziplock bag.
Then 1k through 91k into another large ziplock...
100k through 910k
1M on up.

1/8 Resistors are all in one big ziplock of their own.

All the bags are stuffed into a small plastic bin with clip-lock lid.

As I go through a build, I look at the BOM and take out what I need one bag at a time and stick the resistors (and other components) in a piece of foam with masking tape to label what's what. The decade bags get put back in order within the ziplock bag and everything stays organised for the most part.

I like the recipe-card drawer idea, so I may try that next.

Back