String...Ring...ing Ring stringy...uhhh...Monsterous Mooonshine

Stickman393

Build Rating
3.00 star(s)
My latest creation.

This is a DEFX board, one of their early releases. And boy howdy, it shows.

The board is huge, the offboard wiring is absolutely phucked, and the build doc is nigh unreadable. That said: she's allliveeeeeee!!!

I quite like this one. It goes to some wild sonic places, and stays very musical on the ride there. So much tweakability and ins and outs that Im not sure I'll find a use for it all.

Hints for tuning trimpots:

The VCO trimpot can be set via scope or by ear. Honestly? It's super easy to set by ear. Theres a null point that is clearly audible in the travel of this pot, where the noise shifts between a higher pitched and lower pitched crackle.

The transformer board is pretty self-explanitory. Just trim it till the carrier signal isn't like...insane.

Vactrol trimmer, just turn the gain down, turn on octave mode, and reduce until you get some nice modulation tails on notes.

Then, fuck around. It's fun.

The name of this one is owed to a wikipedia dive. Ring stringer, string ringer, string theory, blah blah...connections to mathematics...what the...the fuck is this? Monsterous Moonshine? Oh fuck yes. This I can work with.

Ta daaaaaaa 1000005899.jpg 1000005900.jpg

Why DEFX gotta be that way!? Nice execution of a bitch of a board. I presume this is their Lovetone Ring Stinger board? Finished AionFxs Neurotron not long ago and it is a shit ton of fun esp with an expression pedal. Unfortunately, there is little love to go round for the Ring Mod in this place

Why DEFX gotta be that way!? Nice execution of a bitch of a board. I presume this is their Lovetone Ring Stinger board? Finished AionFxs Neurotron not long ago and it is a shit ton of fun esp with an expression pedal. Unfortunately, there is little love to go round for the Ring Mod in this place
Exactamundo. Thus the extremely strained random association wordplay that led me to "Monsterous Moonshine"

Later DEFX layouts are certainly better: this one suffers from being an early attempt methinks.

I bought this one like...back when I was posting on here a couple years back. I've got a hell of a backlog to get through. Need to crank open the creativity spigot.

I have one of their boards in my queue. These things are massive. Would you say it's possible to get away with a 1590DD, or is the deeper 1590D absolutely necessary to squeeze in the jacks?

I have one of their boards in my queue. These things are massive. Would you say it's possible to get away with a 1590DD, or is the deeper 1590D absolutely necessary to squeeze in the jacks?
I've got a 1590DD drilled with the exact same graphics on it as proof that the s
Depth of the 1590D is needed.

The transformers on the daughterboard are what makes the 1590D necessary. The stack is just way too thick for the DD, even if one directly mounts it to the main board.

Speaking of transformers...I can't remember exactly what I used here, but I had to rip the bent sheet metal that covers the iron core off mine to get them to fit and not short against adjacent parts.

Honestly, I kinda wish I had built Aion's variant. Smaller, one less footswitch, no need for a 4pdt.

Back