Stuff

Still waiting for a few thingamajigs; 5f1 chassis, 5e1 output transformer and turret-board, a few more yummy tube sets and tasty capacitors…
I scored both the chrome and blackout 5e3 chassis, maybe do a blackface reverb version next?

SIWAR1W.jpg
I feel the need for tweed 😍🥵

Reminds me of ordering from the Sears & Roebuck catalog. 🕰️
Ok, so this how long I've been messing around with DIY guitars (and also dates me....HAH). My first guitar build, I had to order all the parts from a Warmoth paper catalog and a StewMac paper catalog. I still have and play that guitar, it's actually old enough to be "vintage" I think :p. It will be featured in an upcoming (hopefully sometime this week) Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar episode.

Ok, so this how long I've been messing around with DIY guitars (and also dates me....HAH). My first guitar build, I had to order all the parts from a Warmoth paper catalog and a StewMac paper catalog. I still have and play that guitar, it's actually old enough to be "vintage" I think :p. It will be featured in an upcoming (hopefully sometime this week) Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar episode.
2lwv7Jz.jpg

When your morning starts with this…

3aRRJIv.jpg

…I dunno, but my morning DID and it sucked (yeah yeah punny ). To boot, it was used to remove a leaf-pin socket, which I only use when practical. This was for an ATTINY so yeah makes sense….only I get to the last pin and there’s no pin? -Let me interject that I am long overdue for a lens prescription update for my astigmatism but I’m not playing that card…I just wasn’t paying attention. 🤓 🌴

Soldered seven pins before noticing there was no eighth !

JmvZqzi.jpg

I was looking for what I consider a necessity, but haven’t read much about here, an IC tester. One of the reasons I build these boxes of love, is to learn this stuff. I appreciate the ability to test each component being used on a build. I don’t test resistors unless biasing, but I could…and that’s kinda my point I guess, but hey…that’s my groove.

I bought an Amazon special. It performs good egg /bad egg testing on a variety of ICs. I thought of bridging a couple of pins to see how it responded, but I’d rather put it through the paces with a suspected fake chip, as well as a few fried, zapped, and otherwise abused devices.

That said, I’ve decided to purposely disable a few in the name of science….okay and because it’s an excuse to blow stuff up. I’ll derail the opamps, decompress the compressors, make logic chips illogical, and so on!

mDjBReT.jpg

Here is the menu of AMP "types" it tests. A TL072 or RC4558 will test as TL082...OK or FAULT.

LM324
LM741
TL082
TL084
NE555
LM2904
LM2902
LM393
LM339
LM358
LM324
LM741
It also has menus for TR, ZD, OTHER (ULN2803), LIGHT, 45/145, HEF40, CD40, 74LS, 74HC...so lotsa stuff. I'll report back...maybe with a video of a frying IC 🤣

I did try shorting and lifting a few pins....it was at least smart enough to catch that. 🤷‍♂️

So what exactly is it testing? Not sure yet, but what could we test building small circuits around the DUT? I'm going to use a LM324 to go build some of the possible tests including;

Ios Input offset current
Uos Input offset voltage
Aud Open-loop differential factor
CMRR Common-mode rejection ratio
Uicm Common-mode input voltage range

Each requires a bit of math but this is electronics, not .....hmm, welp there's math in everything.

To the breadboard!

PS: I may get that fried IC as a result of all that probing... 🤣

I was looking for what I consider a necessity, but haven’t read much about here, an IC tester. One of the reasons I build these boxes of love, is to learn this stuff. I appreciate the ability to test each component being used on a build. I don’t test resistors unless biasing, but I could…and that’s kinda my point I guess, but hey…that’s my groove.

I bought an Amazon special. It performs good egg /bad egg testing on a variety of ICs. I thought of bridging a couple of pins to see how it responded, but I’d rather put it through the paces with a suspected fake chip, as well as a few fried, zapped, and otherwise abused devices.

That said, I’ve decided to purposely disable a few in the name of science….okay and because it’s an excuse to blow stuff up. I’ll derail the opamps, decompress the compressors, make logic chips illogical, and so on!

mDjBReT.jpg
This thing says is also tests transistors. Have you tried that? Does it give you any more info than the T7? or T1?

When your morning starts with this…

…I dunno, but my morning DID and it sucked (yeah yeah punny ). To boot, it was used to remove a leaf-pin socket, which I only use when practical. This was for an ATTINY so yeah makes sense….only I get to the last pin and there’s no pin? -Let me interject that I am long overdue for a lens prescription update for my astigmatism but I’m not playing that card…I just wasn’t paying attention. 🤓 🌴

Soldered seven pins before noticing there was no eighth !

JmvZqzi.jpg
That would never happen with a Machine Pin Socket! :p

This thing says is also tests transistors. Have you tried that? Does it give you any more info than the T7? or T1?
I haven't gotten to that part 😉, but it does test transistors ( or TR from their menu above ). Zeners, optocouplers, LEDs, CD40XXX, etc.
I want to have some level of confidence in these tests before giving any sort of 👍 to it, and since I have a boxful of Peak testers and breadboards, I figured it was an interesting task. I'll compare some transistor results to the DCAPro, T1, T7, and my DMM/BB rig.
I'll focus on common readings we use...Vgs-off for matching fets, HFE (gain), and/or whatever other useful readings it might yield. I kind of have doubts of it doing any extensive testing based on the price-point, but I've been wrong once before. 🤣

That would never happen with a Machine Pin Socket! :p
I agree. I try to only use sockets where a decent probability exists to swap components. The crazy thing is, the very next day Michael reported doing the same thing.

We had a spring socket vs. machine socket discussion, and here are the takeaways (as I remember them anyway);

Machined IC Socket
Pros - sturdier pins; better casting
Cons - round hole - square pin; cost

Spring IC Socket
Pros - cost, easy insertion
Cons - Flimsy pins, inconsistent casting

I have both in the bin, but from now on I (and probably Michael) will pay closer attention if using the latter. 😜

I agree. I try to only use sockets where a decent probability exists to swap components. The crazy thing is, the very next day Michael reported doing the same thing.

We had a spring socket vs. machine socket discussion, and here are the takeaways (as I remember them anyway);

Machined IC Socket
Pros - sturdier pins; better casting
Cons - round hole - square pin; cost

Spring IC Socket
Pros - cost, easy insertion
Cons - Flimsy pins, inconsistent casting

I have both in the bin, but from now on I (and probably Michael) will pay closer attention if using the latter. 😜
I only got them because I ran out of the machined ones building the bloody Phase II with its 8 zillion ICs. Amazon by 7am next day baby!!! I got my order of machined ones in a few days later and will save the leaf ones for emergencies.

I only got them because I ran out of the machined ones building the bloody Phase II with its 8 zillion ICs. Amazon by 7am next day baby!!! I got my order of machined ones in a few days later and will save the leaf ones for emergencies.
So I’ve been buying these from Amazon.

I can’t find a darn thing wrong with them. And you can’t beat the price. Takes about 3 weeks to arrive from China though. I should just buy 100 next time and be done with it.

So I’ve been buying these from Amazon.

I can’t find a darn thing wrong with them. And you can’t beat the price. Takes about 3 weeks to arrive from China though. I should just buy 100 next time and be done with it.
I haven't seen those. I ordered some, so if they suck, I can blame you right? 😜

I haven't gotten to that part 😉, but it does test transistors ( or TR from their menu above ). Zeners, optocouplers, LEDs, CD40XXX, etc.
I want to have some level of confidence in these tests before giving any sort of 👍 to it, and since I have a boxful of Peak testers and breadboards, I figured it was an interesting task. I'll compare some transistor results to the DCAPro, T1, T7, and my DMM/BB rig.
I'll focus on common readings we use...Vgs-off for matching fets, HFE (gain), and/or whatever other useful readings it might yield. I kind of have doubts of it doing any extensive testing based on the price-point, but I've been wrong once before. 🤣

Update: This tester provides no readings beyond 👍👎, so I'd say it's probably not really worth the expense, other than for the illusion of confidence in a given IC.😬

I think that given the braintrust "on-tap" in the membership, it would be feasible to believe a multi-tester of organic design could be had, that would meet the needs of the DIY audio community while keeping the cost to a minimum. Calling all smart people!

Gather ‘round children, to hear a most gruesome tale of graphic noobility at it’s finest.

Be still! Where was I? Oh, minding my own business building a cool pedal and coming up with what I thought was a fairly clever graphic. My previous submission (Pharmacist / Doc Robert) turned out really well, but honestly all I did was describe my idea to a kind and patient soul who produced the end result. Rather than rinse and repeat with a proven method, I chose to do something stupid and fiddle with file and fate. The result? Disaster. I give you Iteration 1.1a of my aptly-named “DiPSHiT”, aka the PedalPCB Double Pendulum Stereo Harmonic Tremolo…

1BNgqkl.jpg

You’ll notice right away that the LEDs are drilled BELOW the presumed “i”s ….kinda hard to overlook…

But wait….There’s more!

I also decided to zig when zagging was needed.

ppV5alq.jpg

End Of Part 1

Now, go contain yourselves :ROFLMAO:

There‘s a Part II in it for you…

Back