SubSonic (Mini Mach 1 / Lightspeed) - UPDATE 5.28.23: Mini Southland Now Completed!

coltonius

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Update 5.28.23 - I couldn't help myself.. After realizing how close the Lightspeed and Southland are (schematically speaking), I had to dig out more parts and build a mini Southland! Info below..

_________
To put it plainly, this was the result of a desperate need to blow off some steam / build something despite a temporary lack of funding for PCBs. (Yay, new hot water heater!)

Fortunately, I have enough parts hoarded that I can make some stuff on vero when needed, thus I give you: The SubSonic Overdrive! I followed the typical Lightspeed schematic, except for 100uf filtering caps and a B10k Tone pot. Sometimes you have to use the parts on-hand.

I'm no @dan.schumaker or pickdropper, but I've been known to build a mini from time to time. So without further ado and no further delay:

SubSonic.JPG

To make it fit, I had to install the vero with components down and cut a piece of foam to line the lid and avoid shorts. Everything was pretty straightforward, and I'm super glad I used a B10k for the Tone, because it's pretty bright! It's a nice low gainer though. I can see why people might prefer it over the Timmy or its variant clones. It truly is just more without much added coloration.

Five stars!

_________
...and we're back, this time with the 'high gain' version!

After about a week with the LS, I found myself wanting just a little bit more. The kids are with their grands all weekend; I decided to scrounge the parts for a Southland, and this is the result. It's not exactly a Lightspeed+, because the hard clipping diodes add quite a bit of saturation that's hard to dial back to LS territory. (Side note: I appreciate that Greer tweaked the second gain stage for more output as compensation for the hard clippers.) It sounds good as its own thing though, and it stacks well into the LS circuit so that's a plus. :)

As @Fama said below, it's giving TS vibes, which means I'll have to build a mini Eternity for comparison! If you give a mouse a cookie...

SouthSide and SubSonic.jpg SouthSide Inside.jpg

Last edited:
How do you like it? It is the best "transparent overdrive" I've built so far, it just sounds great at most settings.

How do you like it? It is the best "transparent overdrive" I've built so far, it just sounds great at most settings.
It definitely feels more like a dirty boost in terms of transparency compared to my Jan Ray and OD11 clones. If I can scrounge the parts, I may build a Southland for that Lightspeed+ sound!

It definitely feels more like a dirty boost in terms of transparency compared to my Jan Ray and OD11 clones. If I can scrounge the parts, I may build a Southland for that Lightspeed+ sound!
From what I've read the Southland sounds a bit more like a tubescreamer, as in it has a mid hump. I was going to go for a Southland first (I got the Fuzzdog board that works for either one with some parts changes), but decided against it since I'm not a huge TS fan. But YMMV, it might be great for you!

From what I've read the Southland sounds a bit more like a tubescreamer, as in it has a mid hump. I was going to go for a Southland first (I got the Fuzzdog board that works for either one with some parts changes), but decided against it since I'm not a huge TS fan. But YMMV, it might be great for you!
I had to find out for myself, and you're right. I finished this mini Southland late last night; it's definitely in TS territory, though I haven't gotten to compare directly. I can hear it though!

SouthSide and SubSonic.jpg

That's pretty damned impressive. I tried to build a 1590a once with vero and got frustrated enough that I didn't finish it. I haven't build a Southland, but I did build the Lightspeed of a Pedalpcb board and it's really nice. I can see why it gets so hyped. People compare it to the Timmy because it has the resistor replacing the bass pot, but the rest of the circuit's gain and EQ is massaged enough that it's it's own thing. I don't think it would get compared if people didn't see the schematic to compare.

That's pretty damned impressive. I tried to build a 1590a once with vero and got frustrated enough that I didn't finish it. I haven't build a Southland, but I did build the Lightspeed of a Pedalpcb board and it's really nice. I can see why it gets so hyped. People compare it to the Timmy because it has the resistor replacing the bass pot, but the rest of the circuit's gain and EQ is massaged enough that it's its own thing. I don't think it would get compared if people didn't see the schematic to compare.
For sure not. I’ve been comparing it to my other “transparent” clones all week: Jan Ray, TSV808, OD11, Timmy… It feels more like a dirty boost than an overdrive, because it doesn’t mess with the EQ too much. I like the simplicity!

Back