Super 64 build. Does it Supro?!

Dan0h

I’ve been on a Supro rabbit hole these past few months. Going so far as buying a Black Magick amp. I’ve had the PedalPCB Super 64 in and out of my cart ever since I got addicted to building. Finally pulled the trigger and ordered one, honestly just to see if it really could Supro, seeing how I finally had the real thing. Also because I’m a huge fan boy of J201 circuits. I have a small stash of old Fairchild J201s and love everything I’ve built using them.

So does it do the thing. 100% yes and then some. I can dial in almost, and I use that term lightly because it is really damn close to the exact sound I get when I dime out the preamps in the actual Supro amp vs dialing in the Super 64 build. I don’t think I would be able to tell if I wasn’t playing it myself. Full, robust, no fizz raw drive.

The interesting part, and most likely due to the massive variety available with the three trim pots, is that the gain has to be pretty low on the pedal to match the actual amp. Which leaves a ton more gain on tap than the real thing allowing for “more good” from the pedal. As much as some people shit on Josh he really does know his shit circuit wise. And in my opinion this is one of the best Amp in A box pedals for accuracy compared to the real thing.

My favorite part so far of this build is it is bringing out all my minor threat vibes. It’s just got that perfect sound and begs for the minor threat and black flag style playing into it.

Anyway, wanted to share because there are very few build reports on this completely underrated pcb. The thing kicks ass and fills a void all my other drives were missing. I will try to box thing up and post photos this weekend. I’ve stopped boxing builds until I know I love them, so it’s just a jelly fish right now. But this one has earned an enclosure, led, and knobs because it’s going on my board.

IMG_0050.jpeg IMG_0049.jpeg

Last edited:
Love this overdrive too. The toggle doesn't do much to my ears and it has more gain on tap than I'd use but at lower gains it's amazing.
I replaced the switching resistor with a trim pot for that very reason and ended up at 39k instead of 120k.

The Superbolt V2’s High/Low toggle makes a huge difference, so I suspect it’s a redesign from whatever was in V1. Perhaps one day Robert will trace it and let us know!

I replaced the switching resistor with a trim pot for that very reason and ended up at 39k instead of 120k.

The Superbolt V2’s High/Low toggle makes a huge difference, so I suspect it’s a redesign from whatever was in V1. Perhaps one day Robert will trace it and let us know!
Nice! Yeah my switch has little effect. It’s noticeable but very slight. I almost just hard wired the switch positing to eliminate the switch just to save a hole to drill but I’ll leave it for shits and giggles. I always wanted to say shits and giggles. My dad said that a lot when I was a kid.

I actually did see your original post about that and switched mine to a 39k as well and it is noticeable compared to stock!

Man this thing rules. I have no other OD pedal that sounds like this. Boxed it up this afternoon here’s the pics. That’s the Teridium texture from SBP
IMG_0050.jpeg IMG_0049.jpeg

Always wanted to build the runoffgrove version. Friend of mine built it. Sounds great.

Back