DEMO Super Heterodyne Receiver

This post contains an audio or video demo

jwyles90

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Hey all! Just finished boxing this bad boy up. Overall it was a super straightforward build, and all the components were easy enough to find (although for some reason I kept forgetting to check my build materials prior to putting it together, wound up having to put in two separate orders for two individual components. Very annoying and dumb on my part).

As for the sound itself, this thing is WILD. There are all kinds of crazy dive bomb-y, pitched and unison harmonics, and space ship laser noises that it can do. The fuzz on it is pretty huge and heavy and killer as well, and I really like how it sounds paired with the subharmonic section. I will say, there are a wide range of noises in here, and it feels like it's very easy to push it into the "what the fuck is going on this is a garbled mess" territory. While that might not be for me personally, I can see this being a pedal that people who are into creating chaos would really find a lot use with. Either way, though, it's a fun pedal to put together, even if only to make your guitar sound like a demonic, laser-equipped space whale. I put together a couple clips to try and showcase that range a bit. The first is just the fuzz with oscillator mixed in (on the unison, -1 sub setting I believe) with the Glide rate cranked. The second has all three voices going at once on the vibrato mode to showcase some of the more extreme sounds to be had.

Subharmonics demo
Wiggly demo

My journey into adhering things to enclosures continued with this one. I really like how it came out, although I'm finding that some fabrics get along with Mod Podge better than others, or at least they are less finicky when it comes to applying it. For this particular fabric, I think the more "mesh" like nature of it allowed a few spots to dry darker than others if there was slightly more glue accumulated under it. It seems like the fabrics that are less tightly woven are a little more particular about how the mod podge can be applied, so that's something I'll have to keep tinkering with to get right.

Data Corrupter Front.png Data corrupter guts.png

Hot damn that turned out great.

Lining it up to keep the lines straight must've been a biatch-supremo, but it's PERFECT! 🤯

So what's next, needle-point control-labels?

Hot damn that turned out great.

Lining it up to keep the lines straight must've been a biatch-supremo, but it's PERFECT! 🤯

So what's next, needle-point control-labels?
Thank you!! It actually wasn't too bad, believe it or not. I laid the fabric down first, then lined up the enclosure and traced the edges of it so I had that as a guide when cutting the fabric to size.

Needlepoint control labels sound like an amazing idea, actually 😅. Looks like I gotta start practicing my needle and thread.

Hey all! Just finished boxing this bad boy up. Overall it was a super straightforward build, and all the components were easy enough to find (although for some reason I kept forgetting to check my build materials prior to putting it together, wound up having to put in two separate orders for two individual components. Very annoying and dumb on my part).

As for the sound itself, this thing is WILD. There are all kinds of crazy dive bomb-y, pitched and unison harmonics, and space ship laser noises that it can do. The fuzz on it is pretty huge and heavy and killer as well, and I really like how it sounds paired with the subharmonic section. I will say, there are a wide range of noises in here, and it feels like it's very easy to push it into the "what the fuck is going on this is a garbled mess" territory. While that might not be for me personally, I can see this being a pedal that people who are into creating chaos would really find a lot use with. Either way, though, it's a fun pedal to put together, even if only to make your guitar sound like a demonic, laser-equipped space whale. I put together a couple clips to try and showcase that range a bit. The first is just the fuzz with oscillator mixed in (on the unison, -1 sub setting I believe) with the Glide rate cranked. The second has all three voices going at once on the vibrato mode to showcase some of the more extreme sounds to be had.

Subharmonics demo
Wiggly demo

My journey into adhering things to enclosures continued with this one. I really like how it came out, although I'm finding that some fabrics get along with Mod Podge better than others, or at least they are less finicky when it comes to applying it. For this particular fabric, I think the more "mesh" like nature of it allowed a few spots to dry darker than others if there was slightly more glue accumulated under it. It seems like the fabrics that are less tightly woven are a little more particular about how the mod podge can be applied, so that's something I'll have to keep tinkering with to get right.

View attachment 73213View attachment 73214
I LOVE the fabric!! I built one a couple weeks ago but there's some noise or grounding issue and there's always some trippy sounds even if there's no input plugged in :( very cool pedal though and I'm very inspired by the fabric work.

Subharmonics demo
Wiggly demo

View attachment 73213View attachment 73214
I assume that's a shirt but it reminds me of the bench seat in my uncle's '66 Chevy 10 series hay truck.

Okay, that enclosure is just super-cool. Don't get me wrong, you've done a great build overall and the demos are much appreciated. But that enclosure....damn.

M
Nice work! The fabric on this one looks like it was perfectly molded for the enclosure. Beautiful!
Thank you both!! I'm pretty stoked on how it all came out. I've got a whole bag of fabrics in my office, but this one in particular I was really excited to use.

Back