Tantalum vs Electrolytic?

There are some more "responsible" companies.
From what I can understand from the Wahington Post's article, it's probably just for show, unfortunatly : " tracing minerals has been fraught with problems"

"However, the effects of conflict-free mining laws on the ground in chaotic and underdeveloped eastern Congo is another story. Since Dodd-Frank, militias in eastern Congo have only proliferated. Miners are still working in pitiful conditions with little investment into tools and infrastructure. Much evidence points to the reality that minerals coming from mines controlled by militias are still making their way into the global market."

"it left the market scrambling for a solution that facilitated more investment into fulfilling legal duties, and appealing to consumers in the process, rather than improving life in eastern Congo. Tracing minerals from validated mines has been a Band-Aid solution for more intractable problems"

Hence the title : an ugly truth behind "ethical consumerism"

Last edited:
I don't know where I got the information "tantalum caps are bad for audio application", but I think I got it more than once, in several forums maybe, often where people asked right this question.
I avoid it because the cost, but even because several guys advised against it, maybe somewhere, I asked about it because the size of tantalum could be perfect to use in tiny board for 1590A, but I never bought it, I think I always found negative feedback about tantalum in audio application.

Unfortunately, I just made a big order to Tayda, so don't ask to me to buy tantalum just to try it. I can't to compare tantalum and electrolytic caps now, but the topic is very interesting.

Back