Tayda drill template importing to scale in Adobe

Synchrony Pedalworks

I am preparing to make the Equilux. I have the drill template loaded in Tayda. If I use the image of the template from Tayda and paste it into Adobe Illustrator, will it keep the scale correctly?

Thanks in advance.

You can set your 0,0 of the grid in the middle of your Illustrator art board and use the same coordinates to layout your holes.
This is the way. Exactly how I do it. Maybe it’s a little more work and someone else has a more streamlined way but I create the drill template on Tayda’s site, download the appropriate Tayda artboard, center it, and then just make sure I plug-in the exact same coordinates into my art as I have on the drill template.

Note that adobe illustrator plots one of the axes (I forget which one off the top of my head) “backwards” from the way the Tayda drill template does (i.e., what may be a Y of 35 on the drill template is a Y of -35 in Adobe.). Hugo at Tayda has confirmed this to me and says they basically automatically convert for the discrepancy, and it’s never caused me an issue Just make sure that whatever you do in Adobe seems to match up with the drill template as far as orientation, etc.

If you need help, let me know and I can either walk you through it or make it for you.
This is the way. Exactly how I do it. Maybe it’s a little more work and someone else has a more streamlined way but I create the drill template on Tayda’s site, download the appropriate Tayda artboard, center it, and then just make sure I plug-in the exact same coordinates into my art as I have on the drill template.

Note that adobe illustrator plots one of the axes (I forget which one off the top of my head) “backwards” from the way the Tayda drill template does (i.e., what may be a Y of 35 on the drill template is a Y of -35 in Adobe.). Hugo at Tayda has confirmed this to me and says they basically automatically convert for the discrepancy, and it’s never caused me an issue Just make sure that whatever you do in Adobe seems to match up with the drill template as far as orientation, etc.
Many thanks to both of you.

When you create a new doc in Illustrator the 0,0 point is upper left, which means vertical values that are on the page will all have negative values. kinda non-intuitive at first.

I just use the normal Tayda drill template, create an ellipse with the tool with the dimensions of the hole (or knob), align it to the center both horizontally and vertically (so it's at 0, 0, right at the center) and then use the "Move" command to move it to the exact same coordinates as on the drill tool.

I just use the normal Tayda drill template, create an ellipse with the tool with the dimensions of the hole (or knob), align it to the center both horizontally and vertically (so it's at 0, 0, right at the center) and then use the "Move" command to move it to the exact same coordinates as on the drill tool.
pro gamer move... pun intended...

I am very new to Illustrator. I am terrified I am going to get the holes wrong, lol. I have been building boards and making my own pcbs for years but never really messed with Artwork or fancy drilling. I have always just drilled it by hand and sometimes made waterslides but always had the ability to print and test fit etc instead of a one and done deal. Since tayda offers these services now I want to take advantage of them but I am a bit nervous. The drill templates in tayda are awesome but I am just concerned with getting the holes correct in AI. How exactly do I set up illustrator so I can use the same coordinates from the templates? I generally stick to Pedalpcb drill standards when I layout my boards for ease but being able to do custom layouts and using the drill templates from tayda to carry over would be great. If you have pics on how to set illustrator to 0 in the middle like the Tayda drill templates so I can use those coordinates that would be great.

Thanks in advance guys.

I have figured it out somewhat, lol. I am using AI on my iPad primarily. It’s part of the package with it now and it is not as overwhelming to do some stuff but easily shares and enables me to pull it up on my computer as well. I import the template for the 125b workspace from Tayda which is 62x117. When it pulls it in I have no way move the workspace and by default the left side of the workspace is 0. I used the guides to create lines at 31mm and 58.5 mm so I have my center point. I guess I will have to create a table to compensate for these points being 0,0 so I can use the numbers from the drill guide. A bit of a pain but at least I know it will be right until I can find a solution.

Attachments

• IMG_0811.png
    IMG_0811.png
    269.5 KB · Views: 11
I have figured it out somewhat, lol. I am using AI on my iPad primarily. It’s part of the package with it now and it is not as overwhelming to do some stuff but easily shares and enables me to pull it up on my computer as well. I import the template for the 125b workspace from Tayda which is 62x117. When it pulls it in I have no way move the workspace and by default the left side of the workspace is 0. I used the guides to create lines at 31mm and 58.5 mm so I have my center point. I guess I will have to create a table to compensate for these points being 0,0 so I can use the numbers from the drill guide. A bit of a pain but at least I know it will be right until I can find a solution.
That’s what I do as well. Keep in mind that one of the axis is opposite on the drill page.

If you want the artboard to stay at 0,0, you need to change the view to "global rulers."

View-> Rulers->change to global rulers.

Back