TearJerker Wah

Hirti

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I always had this hate/love relationship with wahs. I love the sound of it when other people play it but I just couldn't for the life of me make it work for me. There was just something about the way my foot moves when using a CryBaby style wah that never worked for me. The only wah that I had for years that I liked was the Ibanez WH-10 V1. But I also did not use that a lot because it boosts the signal like crazy.

Well, anyway, this build report by @Guardians of the analog earlier this year made me long for another CryBaby style wah so I bought the Tearjerker pcb. Tons of options to create your individual wah sound.
I found a cheap CryBaby from the 90s and also reused the pot (Hot Potz 1) and the inductor. As a starting point I set it up to have the standard CryBaby settings (Robert posted them somehwere in the forum) and then I went from there.
First I made the Q-pot external but that control didn't really do anything for me so I installed it as a trimmer again. But this left me with a hole on the enclosure so I also installed the sweep knob mod mentioned in GOTAs build report. Yep, that's an awesome feature! Every wah should have that. It takes some off the harsh high end that wahs sometimes can have but you can always just go back to the standard sweep if you want to.

Since building this I now also bought a used Dunlop MC-404. And I also found another cheap CryBaby enclosure locally a while again so I plan on building a Shamwah and then decide which one to keep out of these three.

tearj1.jpeg

tearj2.jpeg

Back