The amazingly versatile Mofeta board

TucsonSean

After building my first Mofeta board and playing around with it and letting my bass player use it (and ultimately keep it), I decided to make a second one. I made provisions for a few tweaks but ended up using the stock components for that build as well. I have really enjoyed the different sounds that I can get from that pedal that are not the typical "Marshally/Fendery" type sounds. Still, I wanted to see how much further I could take it. I wanted MORE!

So I kept thinking about the schematic of the Mofeta board and realized that a 1987 Plexi has a simliar architecture. So I present to you all, the little board that could...

Sound like a Marshall 1987 Plexi

I have taken the Mofeta parts list and changed a few components (14) and added two new components (cap and a switch) and I have what I believe is a very convincing Plexi in a box pedal. Here are my changes:

1679522044762.png

With these changes, the Mofeta sounds incredibly close (to my ears) to a Marshall 1987 Plexi. I first installed the bright cap to the brite pot and found at lower levels (12 o'clock and under), the treble dominated the sound so I put the bright cap on a switch (gut shot pic3 shows its placement below the DC jack) . Now it is much more usable and I can switch it in/out whenever I want.

Since I have built this pedal and am very pleased with its amp-like performance. I believe it offers a very convincing Plexi sound and feel at all different drive levels. With this success, I have decided to see what other amps I can simulate with this board. I will be posting my next modded Mofeta board as soon as I get a change to build it.

Also, I will be posting sound samples as soon as I get access to my recording setup (hopefully before this coming weekend).

Let me know if you try this mod. I would like to know if I am truly hearing what I think I am or if I'm getting crazy in my old age. 😳

-Sean

Attachments

• Mofeta to 1987 Plexi.jpg
    Mofeta to 1987 Plexi.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • Plexi 87 gut shot pic3.jpg
    Plexi 87 gut shot pic3.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Plexi 87 gut shot pic4.jpg
    Plexi 87 gut shot pic4.jpg
    821.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Plexi 87 pic2.jpg
    Plexi 87 pic2.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 40
Very cool!

A while back, I was wondering if something like this was possible, but making a Laney Superlead instead. There seemed to be a decent amount of overlap between the Mofeta and the jfet versions of the Laney, but I’m certainly not brave enough to try!

Evidence

Settings:
Everything on 10 except Volume (output level)

- Recorded directly into Reaper using a UAD Volt 276 and Line 6 Helix Native software for speaker emulation, no eq or effects
- Speaker emulation used on -01: Dual 4x12 1960A, stock settings (mic: 57, Position: Cap Edge, Distance: 1", no low or hi cut)
- Guitar: ESP LTD EC1000 Deluxe with EMG 57TW/66TW (humbucker/singlecoil mode set to humbucker mode), vol and tone set to max
- Pedal: All on 10 except Volume (output level) = 4, brite cap switch=on

I'll get some more clips recorded with different pedal and guitar volume settings.

-Sean

Attachments

• Mofeta to Plexi Everything on 10-001.wav
    3.7 MB
Evidence

Settings:

- Recorded directly into Reaper using a UAD Volt 276 and Line 6 Helix Native software for speaker emulation, no eq or effects
- Speaker emulation used on -01: Dual 4x12 1960A, stock settings (mic: 57, Position: Cap Edge, Distance: 1", no low or hi cut)
- Guitar: ESP LTD EC1000 Deluxe with EMG 57TW/66TW (humbucker/singlecoil mode set to humbucker mode), vol and tone set to max
- Pedal: All on 10 except Volume (output level) = 4, brite cap switch=on

I'll get some more clips recorded with different pedal and guitar volume settings.

-Sean
ayyy that’s the spirit! nice work.

sounds great.
i reckon if you back off on the bass knob just a bit that’d be just about bang on 🤟🏻

keen to hear what it’d sound like with a TS in front to boost the mids some more 😎

TS5 (only TS that I have on hand) into the Plexfeta(TM). Switched to Greenback 25 speaker emulation.

- Speaker emulation used on -01: Dual 4x12 Greenback 25, stock settings (mic: 57, Position: Cap Edge, Distance: 1", no low or hi cut)
- Plexfeta: All on 10 except Volume (output level) = 4, brite cap switch=on

TS5 settings:
Level = Max
Tone = 12:30
Drive = 9 o'clock

I start off the clip without the TS5 then kick it on about 1.4 seconds into the clip. Hopefully you can hear the difference it makes.

-Sean

Attachments

• Mofeta to Plexi Everything on 10 withTS5.wav
    3.8 MB
Last edited:
Here's a favorite setting on the Plexfeta that I think shows a good dynamic capability from fairly dirty to clean.

- Speaker emulation used on -01: Dual 4x12 Greenback 25, stock settings (mic: 57, Position: Cap Edge, Distance: 1", no low or hi cut)
- Guitar: ESP LTD EC1000 Deluxe with EMG 57TW/66TW
- Plexfeta:
Brite = 1 o'clock:
Norm = 11 o'clock
Volume = 11 o'clock
brite cap switch=on
Bass = 5 o'clock
Mid = 4 o'clock
Treble = almost 3 o'clock

Clip starts out with bridge pickup (humbucker mode) full volume then rolled back to half then switching to the neck pickup (single coil mode) full volume then rolled back to half.

This has become my main pedal setting when playing as I can get a nice drive sound then switch to a clean sound just by switching pickups.

-Sean

Attachments

• Mofeta to Plexi Favorite setting 1.wav
    3.8 MB
Last edited:
TS5 into the Plexfeta(TM). Switched back to 1960A speaker emulation.

Everything on 10 (max) except Volume (output level)
- Plexfeta: All on max except Volume (output level) = 11 o'clock, brite cap switch=on

TS5 settings:
Level = Max
Tone = 12:30
Drive = 9 o'clock

I start off the clip without the TS5 then kick it on about 4 seconds into the clip.

-Sean

Attachments

• Mofeta to Plexi with TS5 1960A cab.wav
    3.8 MB
Back