The curious case of the three 4558s

swyse

I was adding a 4558 to my cart on tayda on my last order and I noticed there were 3 of seemingly the same part, so I had to order all of them. I don’t have any equipment fancy enough to test their limits, but I do have one of those fancy camera phones so I did take pictures. I’d love to know if anyone has any ideas on what the best part number is for future orders or if they are all the same.
674B2C07-3906-4410-A14B-950BA4F7BE97.jpeg
D6C9726E-FDFD-4734-925D-C1A762AE0219.jpeg
4FD42DB7-87DE-4969-838B-FD175B4DFAB3.jpeg

I had noticed Tayda had duplicate part numbers for this IC too, and was curious why.

Thanks for experimenting, It looks like they are all different batches from the same manufacturer.

They may have added a stock number to distinguish between suppliers.
That makes a lot of sense, wouldn't want to mix them together if there was a bad batch from one supplier, but I think it's more likely that it's a big conspiracy or coverup for something...
I had noticed Tayda had duplicate part numbers for this IC too, and was curious why.

Thanks for experimenting, It looks like they are all different batches from the same manufacturer.
Glad I could give back to the community with my experiment. The upfront cost stung, but it was worth it.

I had the same thing going on (with TL072s I think) when I first started ordering. I think I've got a couple different batches of those 4558Ds as well and never had a bad one from any SKU.

They're tough too! I dropped one and thought it bounced under the bench only to find it embedded in my left Hey Dude! a few days later. The markings were obliterated and the pins were (stylishly) tangled and mangled...but it still worked. I suppose that rubber sole is ESD-safe :ROFLMAO:

They're tough too! I dropped one and thought it bounced under the bench only to find it embedded in my left Hey Dude! a few days later. The markings were obliterated and the pins were (stylishly) tangled and mangled...but it still worked. I suppose that rubber sole is ESD-safe :ROFLMAO:
I don’t know what that means, but it sounds painful. I would want anything embedded in my Hey Dude!

As a manufacturing programmer I've seen many different part number schemes to handle new revisions. Most of them sucked. But these are probably some sort of difference like "sub assembly j9 was included in a kit bin" or "made prior to implementing xyz procedure". Stuff you wouldn't necessarily need to know about unless you worked in the QA or the scrap division and a bunch started showing up with problems.

So.. AFTER you wore it around a few days and then to find it mangled in your kicks, you said " I gotta try that out real quick.." ?:geek:
Did it add Mojo?

That makes a lot of sense, wouldn't want to mix them together if there was a bad batch from one supplier, but I think it's more likely that it's a big conspiracy or coverup for something...

Glad I could give back to the community with my experiment. The upfront cost stung, but it was worth it.
Having worked in retail and some warehouse stuff in the past. It is likely these were purchased from different supplies and they probably have a different sku to denote that. And it likely makes 0
Difference to the end user. He probably does this likely for accounting purposes as they likely had different costs to him, etc.

Back
Top Bottom