This Week on the Breadboard: the Subdecay Variac - highly modified

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
The Variac is a versatile pedal and sounds great in stock trim. But I can't leave well enough alone so I thought I'd experiment with alternate circuits for the last stage. What Subdecay is doing with the transistor diff amp is they are emulating the long-tailed pair phase splitter in a tube amp. BJTs are not triodes; their transfer function is completely different. Triodes clip much more gradually. But that's not the whole story because Subdecay is also emulating the pentode output stage and that clips fairly abruptly. Still, transistors are not tubes and neither are LEDs, but I tried using LEDs and an opamp to make symmetric clipping that behaves similar to the transistor diff amp. It works well, uses fewer parts and is inherently balanced.

Ladies & Gentlemen, Presented for your dining and dancing pleasure: The Suburban Decay Maniac
I left the 1st two stages more-or-less intact. I fiddled the biasing (R3 & R7) to accommodate the different JFETs. I really like the 2SK193s because they are transparent. They have very low capacitance and do not color the tone. I used a PF5102 for Q3 (other FETs will work) because it has a higher Idss and I'm running Q3 at a higher drain current than in the Variac. I reduced R10 3x to get the higher drain current req'd to drive the tone stack. I rescaled and retuned the tone stack, adding a MID control. Just about everything after the tone stack is new. I used a CA3130 for U1 to ensure maximum headroom, however a TL071 will work. The POWER AMP control takes the place of the Variac's PENTODES control and does the same thing. The POWER AMP control has 6dB more range than the PENTODES control. The high Vf of the blue LEDs ensures the 3rd stage plays clean at low to moderate signal levels, just like the Variac. The low LED current causes the distortion to come on gradually. At high gain settings, the LEDs glow visibly, but not brightly. I found the L/C switch on the Variac to be a little too subtle. The addition of the MID control and higher gain capability of the POWER AMP control more than make up for its absence. There's some top-end roll-off after the 3rd stage, tuned the same as the Variac. The opamp's low output impedance made an output buffer unnecessary.

Suburban Decay Maniac v1.1.png

PREAMP - Controls the gain and distortion before the tone stack, just like on a Marshall. Turning it up makes lots of compression as well as plenty of even and odd-order harmonics. PREAMP influences how the pedal responds to picking and guitar volume.

TREBLE-MID-BASS - It's a Fender tone stack, which means if you turn all three knobs down to zero, no sound gets thru. It's tuned warmer than a Fender tone stack. If you want it to sound like a Variac, then set MID to zero.

POWER AMP - Acts like a tube amp's Master Volume control. Controls the gain and distortion after the tone stack. Turning it up makes smooth odd-order harmonics, like the output stage on a push-pull tube amp. Use it in conjunction with PREAMP to set the overall compression and distortion.

VOLUME - Depending on the PREAMP and POWER AMP settings, unity can be anywhere from 9:00 to 3:00.

Turn PREAMP and POWER AMP all the way down, VOLUME all the way up, and it's clean boost (ok, almost clean). For a bluesy tone, keep PREAMP below 10:00 and use POWER AMP to control the distortion.

This pedal is pretty much an amp-in-a-can, but it's not trying to sound like any particular tube amp.

I really like the use of the power amp as a master. Would it be of any benefit to divide (split?) the mid control ?

Easier said than done. This controls on this kind of tone stack are very interactive. For some settings, the MID control acts more like a volume control. C7 and R15 have the most leverage, but varying the "midrange" by more than a couple of octaves won't work very well. Try playing with the Tone Stack Calculator and you'll see what I mean. We could always put a variOboost in there. Major surgery that is.

EDIT:

Thought about this some more and there are two easy ways to effect a mid-shift:
1) Switch in two or three different values for C7.
2) Replace R15 with a 50K pot + 4.7K in series.

Try it out on the Tone Stack Calculator. Make Zsrc = 500Ω and R5 (load) = 56KΩ

There is interaction and these mods do more than just move the mid notch around.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: fig
I think I'll try to build it as drawn. I'm pretty sure I have everything except for 2SK193s....but I know where to pick some up.
Thank you sir, and another breadboard adventure begins!

Cool. I'm keen to hear your observations, good, bad or otherwise.

I picked R3 to get 5.3V on Q1-D and R7 to get 5.2V on Q3-S. These are not magic numbers, just a ballpark. R7 determines the symmetry (or asymmetry) of the Preamp clipping. Look for the bias setting that sounds good to you. Q3's Idss has to be above 3mA.

Caps to play with are C1 (increase for fatter tone), C4 (brightness at low PREAMP settings), C7 (mid scoop), C14 (presence) C5 (treble cut at high POWER AMP settings), C18 & C19 (presence).

Use any opamp you like, FET input is better, but not mandatory.

Right now mine is only up to R6 (I started at IN). I'm using a tin can CA3130T so I stuck it in a socket. I don't have the 2SK193s yet, so I just stuck random transistors as place-holders. The datasheet says they (193s) are GSD so I can pop them right in when they arrive. I'm using multi-turn trimmers in place of pots for now. Hopefully, I 'll have something pic-worthy tomorrow.

Looking forward to your observations, and where did you get the 2SK193 from? I saw some on evilbay but I don't quite trust 'em...

Here's my Suburban Decay Maniac breadboard. The signal flow is left-to-right. Controls are (L-R): PREAMP, TREBLE, MID, BASS, POWER AMP, LEVEL.
The green LEDs have since been replaced with blue and there are a few spare parts stashed here & there.
PedalPCB breadboard 02.jpg

That's a great-looking Suburban Decay Maniac! (actually, probably the only SDM).

Mine is more of a bourbon-decayed maniac. Granted there were a couple of bowls involved. I'll light it up...er test it later this morning.

qN52dRD.jpg

Sucir8n.jpg

I have no idea why I thought I was testing it today. I don't have the FETs yet. I know, I could patch power from the transporter unit over to the shields array (use a different FET), but I want to hear it with those 193s first....or even at all...or maybe not ignite when I plug it in and burn up some of that mojo? 😖

First ya gotta set the bias.
I ended up using 2SK193 for all three. I put the hottest one (Idss = 5.5mA) in for Q3.

Last edited:
I've measured maybe 20 so far. Average Vp is around -1.2V and Idss around 4.5mA. Their marking is:
K193
K0XM

Min Idss was 3.5mA and max was 5.6mA, which leads me to believe they are in the K to M Idss bins. No info on the datasheet as to how to interpret the marking.

Back