Three-Transistor Germanium Fuzzrite (2024)

Ginsly

Looks like someone persuaded original Fuzzrite designer Ed Sanner (87 years old!) to make a handful of Ge versions this year, but with a third transistor:

"This is a tribute to the Fuzzrite designed by Ed Sanner. This one features vintage "germanium transistors" and Ed decided to add a third transistor to this pedal for more impoved sustain and feedback that you can control. The results are insane. You can get Hendrix tones and infinate sustain as well as soundscapes you can melt into with the addition of the third transistor. Or back it off for the classic Fuzzrite Fuzz tone. These Fuzzrite's are each hand built one at time by Ed Sanner the designer. Every solder joint in every pedal was by Ed Sanner himself."

I was planning on messing around with the Ge Fuzzrite at some point, and I like the idea of the third transistor. I know there are a lot of good detectives here, just wondering if anyone has any idea how he might have incorporated the third stage? Not sure if any clones feature this in any capacity. I know the Catalinbread Merkin has a third transistor, but it's an Si circuit.

There's a video of a known Youtuber playing it :)rolleyes:), but... I didn't want to link to it. :)

Interesting. Catalinbread does have a Ge version of their Fuzzrite but I can't find if it's using 3 transistors or not. Seems like they are using 2 to keep it like the original, but have not verified.

The OG had 2 Ge and is excellent. I can only imagine the 3rd transistor is a boost just before the volume pot…
Ge LPB1 and done!
Or, build a Ge Darlington LPB1 and keep your phase in check.
Ik,ik, phase *shouldn't* matter in a fuzz, but it does if your blending and not diming the fuzz(who does that?).

Depends on the boost. Of course, with no tone control, it is also possible that the extra Ge is at the inout, like a MKii TB…
I would think it would be on the frontend
This would be my best guess, but I know diddly squat about how to do that. I was thinking about doing a Ge Fuzzrite on stripboard, and it would be very cool to add another Ge gain stage in front. Any pointers? :)
1725051143424.png

Back