Thumbsucker "stock" markings

micmac

Hi all!

Beginner here. I have a Thumbsucker kit to build and to make my life easier I want to mark the stock settings of the Engineer's Thumb on the Threshold, Release and Attack pots on the decal (with a red dot or line in the 1 to 10 scales surrounding these three knobs).

With "stock settings" I mean the resistance values that you would have if you followed the schematic from Merlin for a 2 knob version (the 2 knobs being Level and Ratio).

Thumbsucker docs: PedalPCB Thumbsucker PDF
Merlins Engineer's Thumb docs: Valvewizard PDF

I thought about it and came up with this:

Threshold pot: 1M between lugs 1 and 2
Release pot: 370k between lugs 1 and 2 (because in PedalPCB layout there's a 100k in series in front of the pot)
Attack pot: 0Ohm between lugs 1 and 2 (fully counter clockwise)

I think this is correct, but I have been wrong before :)

Can anybody please confirm?

Thanks!
Seb

I’ll be honest with you, it depends on your input signal and the effect you’re looking for. There is no right or wrong answer. Set it to taste.

Hi jimilee, it's not about taste, I'd just like markings on the three extra pots of the Thumbsucker that get me to the values of Merlin's Engineer's Thumb 2 knob pedal.

The tolerance of most pots being +/- 20% makes this a difficult guess to make. How are you doing your graphic? I'm thinking If you can put a knob on your actual pot, set it to the desired resistance and then recreate that position on your graphic might be the most accurate way.

Yes, exactly, that's the plan. I'd just like to know if I got this correct:

Threshold pot: 1M between lugs 1 and 2
Release pot: 370k between lugs 1 and 2 (because in PedalPCB layout there's a 100k in series in front of the pot)
Attack pot: 0Ohm between lugs 1 and 2 (fully counter clockwise)

Back