Tone Stacks - Part 1c - a few more Passive Filters

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
I occurs to me that I skipped over a couple Fender Tone Stacks: The Bandmaster and the Princeton 5F2.

The 5F2 amp uses a simple one-knob TONE control that acts as a treble cut below noon and a treble bleed above noon.
Princeton.png
The Bandmaster amp used a few different tone stacks over the years. This one showed up in the 6G7. Sorry the image quality isn't great. It uses one less capacitor than the more common Fender tone stack and the controls interact considerably.
Bandmaster 6G7.png
This tone stack shows up in the Ibanez Mostortion pedal. It takes a few more parts, but performs better that the standard Fender TMB stack IMO. There is less interaction between controls and MID goes from cut to boost. If you guys know of any amps that use this circuit, let me know.
Mostortion.png
Looks like there will have to be a part 1d to discuss Vox Tone Stacks.

Last edited:
I occurs to me that I skipped over a couple Fender Tone Stacks: The Bandmaster and the Princeton 5F2.

The 5F2 amp uses a simple one-knob TONE control that acts as a treble cut below noon and a treble bleed above noon.
View attachment 15814
The Bandmaster amp used a few different tone stacks over the years. This one showed up in the 6G7. Sorry the image quality isn't great. It uses one less capacitor than the more common Fender tone stack and the controls interact considerably.
View attachment 15815
This tone stack shows up in the Ibanez Mostortion pedal. It takes a few more parts, but performs better that the standard Fender TMB stack IMO. There is less interaction between controls and MID goes from cut to boost. If you guys know of any amps that use this circuit, let me know.
View attachment 15817

Looks like there will have to be a part 1d to discuss Vox Tone Stacks.
To stop the sound dying when all is zero, could you put a small stopper resistor from lug 1 of MIDDLE to gnd? Something like 220r (for example)?

Actually, I drew that one wrong. It has been corrected.

To answer your question, yes, R15 prevents the volume from going to zero when BASS and TREBLE are set to zero.

No, that Aion schematic matches my corrected schematic. The values are different but the hookup is the same. In my original (incorrect) version, the bottom of R15 connected to the top of the MID pot.

Actually, just looking at their pot orientation looks like the treble will have the opposite rotation to the others. I'm guessing your diagram has lug 3 at the tops and lug 1 at the bottoms? Or the other way around... now i've gone crosseyed.

Back