Transformer Equivalent question

oldacid

Can anyone confirm if THIS Xicon transformer from Mouser is equivalent to THIS one by Triad magnetics? I can see That the impedance and turn ratio are the same but the primary/secondary resistance values are off quite a bit and I'm not sure if this matters.

Can anyone confirm if THIS Xicon transformer from Mouser is equivalent to THIS one by Triad magnetics? I can see That the impedance and turn ratio are the same but the primary/secondary resistance values are off quite a bit and I'm not sure if this matters.
Well the primary and secondary impedances are drastically different, so, yeah, what are you going to use it for? In tube circuits, the primary impedance has to match the high impedance of the tube, and the secondary has to match the output device usually a speaker.

The frequency ranges between the two are drastically different.
The 42TM018-RC has a frequency range of 300 Hz to 3.4 kHz
The TY-141P has a frequency range of 200Hz ~ 15kHz

Personally, I'd go with the TY-141P.

Its for the Aion FX IVP build, which calls for the Xicon transformer in the parts list. I just like buying from digikey better as its faster and cheaper shipping to me, plus I've already filled a cart and I'm to stubborn to just abandon it!

Smallbear sells one they call a 42TM018 equivalent. They don't get more specific than that, but maybe it's something to go on:

I put one of these in the Brassmaster clone I built a while back.

And what about the inductance of the TY-141P? I can't find this information.
The TY-141P datasheet(s) appear to NOT show the inductance anywhere. But when measured with a Peak Atlas LCR45, it it seems to have an inductance of about 10H on both the primary & secondary windings. Not really sure the inductance has any bearing in a pedal.

Here's the primary reading . . . .
TY-141P_01.jpg

And here's the secondary reading . . .
TY-141P_02.jpg

I didn't find any transformer's datasheet with the inductance value. I just found this chart, and this very interesting picture:

Thanks for the measurements!

Attachments

• Transformer Xicon-42-TL-inductances.png
    Transformer Xicon-42-TL-inductances.png
    219.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 51160398462_f5f85a66f8_o.gif
    51160398462_f5f85a66f8_o.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 11
Back