Transistor question

djmiyta

I built Sabrotone's Lighthaus. Absolutely love it. I did not have the 2n1306 or 8 transistors which are germanuim. I can't remember where why or how I acquired the one's I did use which were 2n2369a. These are silicone. I know I never compared datasheets between the 1306 and 2369a would'nt know how to decypher the info anyways (but I do try to). All I know is they're both switching transistors. I have recently got some 2n1304's a bit lower gain than the 06 and 08. They worked, but like night and day and the silicone trannies sound sooooooo much better.

heres a link to the one I made https://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2019/04/lighthaus.html

So I was wondering why I like the 2369 so much more and how is it able to work in the circuit without having to change values (my assumption) to make it work' which I didn't ,and mine sounds fantastic.

I guess I'm a little stunned over how components can be swapped in such a drastic way (again to me) I mean I realize how many different circuits there are with a few component value changes ........... or maybe its my naivete of electronics all together.

And if anyone is in the mood for a pretty high gain stellar sounding pedal build this , its quite impressive ,at least using the 2n2369a (whuch are pretty damn pricey tho')

Last edited:
I built Sabrotone's Lighthaus. Absolutely love it. I did not have the 2n1306 or 8 transistors which are germanuim. I can't remember where why or how I acquired the one's I did use which were 2n2369a. These are silicone. I know I never compared datasheets between the 1306 and 2369a would'nt know how to decypher the info anyways (but I do try to). All I know is they're both switching transistors. I have recently got some 2n1304's a bit lower gain than the 06 and 08. They worked, but like night and day and the silicone trannies sound sooooooo much better.

heres a link to the one I made https://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2019/04/lighthaus.html

So I was wondering why I like the 2369 so much more and how is it able to work in the circuit without having to change values (my assumption) to make it work' which I didn't ,and mine sounds fantastic.

I guess I'm a little stunned over how components can be swapped in such a drastic way (again to me) I mean I realize how many different circuits there are with a few component value changes ........... or maybe its my naivete of electronics all together.

And if anyone is in the mood for a pretty high gain stellar sounding pedal build this , its quite impressive ,at least using the 2n2369a (whuch are pretty damn pricey tho')
Pin outs are usually a good starting point when looking for subs. As far as data sheets go, you don’t really have to decipher how to read them so much as comparing them. They’re not terrible difficult to understand when looking for a sub. I don’t understand most of what’s on there, either.

The 2n2369s have lower HFEs, which are similar to what you get from Ge transistors, which is why they probably worked as better substitutes in this circuit. You could probably get 2n3904s to sound good but would have to adjust the circuit for their higher gain.

Edit: I just realized you says 2n1304, not 2n3904. In that case I'm not sure. My previous answer doesn't explain it though...

Last edited:
Reactions: fig
Back