Treble bleed PCB

So much philosophy, so many different attempts to correct a fundamental flaw of the pickups/ volume pot / cable /amp interface. So much time and effort spent. And NONE of these solutions work equally well in all situations. They all depend on factors outside the designer's control, such as what kind of load follows the guitar, what pedals, amp, how long is the cable, maybe the phases of the moon. That's just bad design. The obvious solution is to use an onboard buffer to isolate the guitar from the effects of the load. No treble bleed is needed if there's no treble loss to begin with when rolling off the volume, regardless of what happens downstream. But no, putting a battery in a guitar is the Antichrist. Kills the mojo or whatever. Unless you're Clapton or something, then you get a pass.

/endrant 🙄
So there are in-guitar buffers (I know I've seen you design a few, and of course there's stuff like the Strat Jackplate Stratoblaster), buffers that hang off of your and there are buffer pedals on boards (where space is a premium), wonder if there's a market for a middle ground, a buffer that plugs straight into the guitar like the Dan Armstrong effects boxes did, or like all those small wireless units I see these days?

No routing, no board space taken up.

Or has that already been done?

Topic for another thread but

So there are in-guitar buffers (I know I've seen you design a few, and of course there's stuff like the Strat Jackplate Stratoblaster), buffers that hang off of your and there are buffer pedals on boards (where space is a premium), wonder if there's a market for a middle ground, a buffer that plugs straight into the guitar like the Dan Armstrong effects boxes did, or like all those small wireless units I see these days?

No routing, no board space taken up.

Or has that already been done?

Topic for another thread but
To fully take advantage of the buffer preventing the volume pot loading the pickups, it would need to be before the volume knob in the guitar.

But I do agree with the sentiment- a decently designed buffer would be transparent tonally, would fix the volume pot loading, would help signal to noise ratio etc. and with modern battery tech etc, I could see lithium type cells lasting years before needing changed.

and for the purists who are against it- unlikely to find in here: we already go through pedals and have amps with solid state buffered fx loops and so on… just convincing the masses is another story.

Back