Trimmers: 6mm top adjustment vs Cermet 3362P

Jeff M.

I’m sourcing parts for an ElectroVibe (non-mini) and I have a question on the trimmers.
From the build reports, it looks like most folks use the Cermet 3362P as far as I can tell.

Are there any differences between these two styles other than the Cermets being enclosed/sealed?
I notice the Cermets are .5w and 10% tolerance while the others are .1w and 20% tolerance.
Since trimmers rarely end up on the far ends of the throw, I’m not sure the 10% tolerance difference between the two would be that big of a deal.
What would be the benefits of .5w vs .1w on a trimmer?

That said, would the Cermets be more reliable, better quality and/or less prone to drift or something like that?

These 6mm Top Adjustment vs these Cermet 3362P

Reactions: fig
I've used both, and there's not much difference. The top adjust MAY be a bit cheaper in construction, so may want to use it for voltage divider or something "set and forget" as opposed to a function you would need to adjust regularly..

Excellent, thanks!
I just started building pedals this year (with zero electronics experience and a rank beginner at soldering) and while many of the things I‘m not sure of are answered by a bit of research, I couldn’t find much info on the trimmer differences.

I did figure out the hard way that the non-Cermets are a bit “delicate” when I snapped one off trying to see ”how far CCW this thing goes”. The lesson on that one was test the throw BEFORE soldering it in!

I‘ll probably just get Cermets going forward since they are sturdier, but I can still use up the cheaper ones that I picked up.

Back