Triple loops switcher with order switch

The thing that got me into building pedals in the first place was that I wanted to make a huge loop switcher (at least 20 loops) that would do all sorts of unconventional (or expensive) bypass and order switching, mainly because I like to tinker with effects and my signal chain, not because I like to use so many effects.

That was about 18 months ago, and I still haven't built my master loop switcher. Partly because I keep changing thoughts about what I want it to look like depending on what other things I come across (for example: switch, plug, and jack options; relay bypass with remote switching; the Patchulator and other patchbay-esque concepts; novel enclosure and pedalboard concepts; series/parallel routing concepts; etc.), but also because, while I started building effects to hone my soldering chops, now, about 80 pedals in, I have a full-on sickness.

In any event, to solve the issue you've hit, I've considered a couple of different solutions (as a rule, I've been staying away from microcontrollers -- other than the ones included in individual relay bypass switches -- and MIDI). I bought a handful of 6PDT pushbutton switches (not stomps, but I don't think you plan to stomp this switch) which allow you to add LED indicators, and there are 4PDT toggles (which don't really need an LED). I haven't worked out what a 4PDT on-on-on toggle could do for order switching, but that's a possibility. The 4P6T rotary idea has just blown up my head.

But the concept I like the most, and I've been working on prototypes for, is a hybrid loop switcher / patch bay with a couple of order swapping stomps or toggles woven in. I'm probably settled on something like one or more normalled patchbays with single TRS cable inserts for each effect or loop. I expect that would work more simply and flexibly than any switch concept, though it wouldn't be possible to rearrange on-the-fly (though that's seldom necessary).

I'm always looking for new ideas, though!
-Chris

The thing that got me into building pedals in the first place was that I wanted to make a huge loop switcher (at least 20 loops) that would do all sorts of unconventional (or expensive) bypass and order switching, mainly because I like to tinker with effects and my signal chain, not because I like to use so many effects.

That was about 18 months ago, and I still haven't built my master loop switcher. Partly because I keep changing thoughts about what I want it to look like depending on what other things I come across (for example: switch, plug, and jack options; relay bypass with remote switching; the Patchulator and other patchbay-esque concepts; novel enclosure and pedalboard concepts; series/parallel routing concepts; etc.), but also because, while I started building effects to hone my soldering chops, now, about 80 pedals in, I have a full-on sickness.

In any event, to solve the issue you've hit, I've considered a couple of different solutions (as a rule, I've been staying away from microcontrollers -- other than the ones included in individual relay bypass switches -- and MIDI). I bought a handful of 6PDT pushbutton switches (not stomps, but I don't think you plan to stomp this switch) which allow you to add LED indicators, and there are 4PDT toggles (which don't really need an LED). I haven't worked out what a 4PDT on-on-on toggle could do for order switching, but that's a possibility. The 4P6T rotary idea has just blown up my head.

But the concept I like the most, and I've been working on prototypes for, is a hybrid loop switcher / patch bay with a couple of order swapping stomps or toggles woven in. I'm probably settled on something like one or more normalled patchbays with single TRS cable inserts for each effect or loop. I expect that would work more simply and flexibly than any switch concept, though it wouldn't be possible to rearrange on-the-fly (though that's seldom necessary).

I'm always looking for new ideas, though!
-Chris
That would be one epic looper dude!

Back