SWITCH-CRAFT (got any creative uses of switches?)

Feral Feline

I'm hoping this thread can be a catch-all for interesting and unconventional ways to use switches, whether rotaries, relays, footswitches, toggles...

Here's one for a starter:

I saw this a long time ago, supposed to be a DPDT "wired as on-on-on" that can act like a 3PDT.[EDIT SP3T]

DPDT wired as On-On-On (acts like 3PDT) jumper pin 3&5.jpg

and info collector that I am I DL'd the diagram, thinking it might have some use down the road.

Recently came across it again and thought the diagram is a wee-bit confusing so I fired up DIYLC to make better sense of it:

DPDT ON-ON-ON (ACTS LIKE 3PDT).png
Simply add a jumper to an ON-ON-ON DPDT between lug 3 and 5 (type 2 pictured, but you could use a type 1, too, albeit reconfiguring the ins/outs)

It's supposed to act as a 3PDT, [EDIT: SP3T see post below] but in what way? There're so many ways to use switches.

I thought it could be a simple instrument selector: wire up the 3 outputs (Lugs 1, 4 and 6) to input jacks for 3 instruments.
Output is Lug 2 of course, into your pedalboard>amp.

You could add Eunas I mean buffers (euna what I meant anyway) and or attenuation pots on all the inputs to level the output signals between an active bass guitar and passive P-bass and piezo-under-saddle double-bass ...

So what could/would/should you use that DPDT On-On-On above for?

What cool switch-craft have you conjured or found cast?

Last edited:
That’s making a DPDT act as a SP3T, not a 3PDT— there’s one common (the teal wire in the case of your second diagram) and three selectable connections (the three green wires)

I use that configuration very often— one of the main uses I have for an on-on-on dpdt.

Back