Tyrian - clean signal, no distortion/effect

xxvga

Hi all, I'm a newb here.
I am on my third pedal, the Tyrian.
My first was the Sabbath. it doesn't work but I chalk that up to what is probably sloppy soldering. I ordered a new pcb and will try again.

Second pedal was the face melter. works great, although some funnny clipping when the 'Dirty' is turned all the way up. but overall awesome.

so now my Tyrian. I worked slow and I worked clean. to me it looks great.
bypassed signal good (a little noisy) but it's otherwise clear and good.
when switched on the LED fires up, volume/signal seems to drop a bit and stays clean.
I did an audio trace and of course i seem to be able to trace audio through the entire pedal...no surprise considering i'm still getting a clean signal when the pedal is engaged. it's just not kicking in the distortion.
on the audio trace i didn't hear a sound when testing the wiper lug of the A50k volume pot. thought it was faulty so i switched out for another pot but same thing. i measured the pot and it reads 50k as it should

any thoughts? I've searched in the forums but just don't seem to find anything that helps.
i've tried switching out the foot switch as well. the footswitch looks like a sloppy job but i have looked very closely and solders are solid and nothing is touching anything it shouldnt be

any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Mike

sorry for the gigantic picture :)
IMG_9940.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9940.jpg
    IMG_9940.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 6
Ok the black and white was a screw up on my end. The original switch I had I. There was correct. I think I had too many whiskies before putting that one in. I have fixed it. Also switched the connections to the jacks.
Unfortunately I’m still dead. Not signal coming through when switched on. I’ll go back to the audio probe now that I have the jacks connected properly.
Also when switched on only one of the internal leds goes on. Could that be stopping the signal?
Added the alligator clip temporarilyjust to make sure it was grounded.

Thanks again for all your help.

IMG_9972.jpeg

Ok the black and white was a screw up on my end. The original switch I had I. There was correct. I think I had too many whiskies before putting that one in. I have fixed it. Also switched the connections to the jacks.
Unfortunately I’m still dead. Not signal coming through when switched on. I’ll go back to the audio probe now that I have the jacks connected properly.
Also when switched on only one of the internal leds goes on. Could that be stopping the signal?
Added the alligator clip temporarilyjust to make sure it was grounded.

Thanks again for all your help.

View attachment 71987
I think you’re getting close. I haven’t done this pedal but on the ones I have done which are similar that only lights up when the signal is clipping as you’re playing. If you have more ICs I would try swapping them out starting with IC 2. Other than that I would check you component values as well as check for solder bridges or rouge component legs.

Ok thanks. I’ll try swapping the IC2.
Tried another pedal and failed. That’ll be a new post. I’m 1 for 4 now. Uch. I’m a better player than I am a maker.

Hey my man, troubleshooting is part of the process. So don't get discouraged! You are learning. It's actually a very useful skill to learn for life as well, it's just aggravating as hell sometimes. Everyone has been there, and this circuit is *chef's kiss* well worth it. It will chonkchonkchonk all night long.

As daily dovetails points out, your clipping LEDs are lighting up, so that means clipping of a signal. Good to check if the light changes with a strum/mute. It's normal for one to be brighter than the other. It might be time to break out the multimeter to see if component-component and component-ground continuity is correct, as well as to see what's going on with voltage and power at the ICs.

In future, I would definitely post the most recent pics of your board front and back. Just out of curiosity, you've plugged in power and a guitar to an amp to see if it works with the pots up? You fixed the jacks, might be good to go.

Another thought is to check your DC jack for proper wiring and connection. I can't see a clear shot of the soldering. You also don't need to clip to the enclosure. All of my builds work outside of the enclosure.

Last edited:
............................................ Open Jack Mono connection................................................................Open Jack Stereo connection if Battery required??? 1711945502228.png 1711945588912.png
.............................Ground Lead to the Centre Ring.................................................................Tip Lead connection straight across to Long Jack Tip
.................................................................................................................................................. (Ring) Negative Battery Lead straight across to Short Ring Tip

PedalPCB standard Connection with Mono Jacks:
If using Battery, Use stereo Input Jack & 3 Pin power jack for + Battery lead.
PedalPCB Wiring Connections.jpg

Last edited:
Like somebody said in the other thread, make sure you have your cables running to the right sides, since ins/outs are reversed with the pedal flipped. Done this more than a couple of times.

Good to see what I assume to be a fellow Canadian (Long & McQuade cable).

thanks everyone.
ok it's been a good day so far. got the other pedal fired up and started on this one again. took a long time but i got somewhere. found a dead resistor. switched it out and now I get distortion. very thin and quiet but at least there's an effect signal coming through. and that one led in the circuit that was always on is now off. which I think is a good thing.
the on off led works on this one too.

so what would cause a weakish fuzzy sound?

it was R3 so pretty early in the chain. very thin and fuzzy sound but i'll continue through and measure everything else along the way to see if somethings messed up.

Back