Ungula Build

Heavy AF. Puts my NYC muff to shame. Find the bias knob doesnt do much though

It is indeed heavy. Let me mess with mine tonight and see what my (edit because I think we're talking about the Shift control) bias knob is doing. I felt like it was definitely noticeable though. One thing I like about this pedal over other fuzz's like a Big Muff is that it just feels tighter, like you can actually dig in and palm mute a little bit and not have it sound all wooly and flubby, if that makes sense...

Now if I can just debug this Informant I just built. Whole 'nother story though.

Last edited:
Ahhh ok. Ill test later. Didnt know if it was because of omitting diodes. I like tone rolled all the way back almost really doomy dark. So maybe why I didnt see much shift.

Right, there is no "bias" knob on the Ungula. The SHIFT knob has a strong effect when TONE is above noon and no effect when TONE is at zero.

I found most of the range of the SHIFT knob useless. Makes a HUGE mid scoop when turned clockwise. I ended up increasing C10 to 22nF. Now SHIFT sweeps from a mid hump to a mid scoop.

I found most of the range of the SHIFT knob useless. Makes a HUGE mid scoop when turned clockwise. I ended up increasing C10 to 22nF. Now SHIFT sweeps from a mid hump to a mid scoop.

im also curious if you know that the ommited cap adds to the ungula cleft mod? i have it in currently. added it when i was trouble shooting. now im kinda a half and half.

You're talking about C6, that's the cap that's omitted in the Cleft version. C2, C6 & C9 all do the same thing: they roll-off treble in the 1st, 2nd & 3rd stages, respectively. Making those caps bigger darkens the sound; making them smaller brightens the sound. How much of a difference it makes by leaving C6 out is anyone's guess. I stopped trying to understand why EQD does the things they do. If it sounds good the way it is, maybe it's time to put down the soldering iron, screw on the bottom cover and play guitar.

Back