Updating an Old Favorite - A Cornish-Inspired Silicon Big Muff

Fingolfen

Before the Polonium-2 board (which is amazeballs), there was the Effects Layouts "Cornish P-2 (Probably)" - emphasis on the "probably." Upon further review it's not exactly correct, but it's a HECK of a good high-gain BMP in its own right with a fairly flat mids. I'd built up a few, and I still had a couple of hand-etched boards lying around so I decided it was time to build them (especially since I'd already had a couple of enclosures made up).

Effects Layouts - Cornish P-2 - 01.jpg

The PCB above is from my earlier build of the pedal. I'd originally put this in an enclosure that looked very (VERY) much like the original Cornish enclosure, and honestly I really prefer to put things in dinosaur themed enclosures these days. I went ahead and populated another board using a similar component mix. My original version had all modern 1% metal film resistors with a mix of WIMA and Panasonic film capacitors. Unfortunately I'm pretty much out of Panasonics these days, so for the new build (below) I went ahead and used WIMA and a couple of KEMET ones. Tolerances are all 5%. The electrolytics are all new Nichicon, and the diodes and transistors are all new production as well.

The Protoceratops - 01.jpg

Given the power layout for the Effects Layout boards, I decided to go ahead and just use the AionFX 3PDT daughter board like I've done in previous versions of the pedal. it's the easiest way to route the power, LED, and LED CLR without having to do a lot of hand wiring. As always, the jack connections are insulated with heat shrink tubing. I did go with a white DC jack to go with the mostly white enclosure.

The Protoceratops - 02.jpg

I'd originally worked up this enclosure design before the PedalPCB Polonium 2 board came out using some licensed Asian art from Adobe - and added a dinosaur! I ended up modifying this art design for the "Protoceratops 2" enclosure because I liked it so much. If anyone ever traces the Cornish P-1, I may make yet another version of it for that pedal because, why not? In terms of the sound, it is very similar to the P-2 clones, but not quite as smooth. I'd used one of these for ages before the real clone came out, and I still use it as a secondary pedal.

Original blog article: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2023/10/updating-old-favorite-cornish-inspired.html

Back