US sources for Film-Free Decal Paper?

Do you coat the size of the enclosure as well as the face?
If it’s a powder coated enclosure, only the top – the rest is already glossy enough and I’m looking just to protect the top decal from scratching off. If I’m working with a raw aluminum enclosure that I have polished up, I will either do the sides as well or I will do just the top - depends on what effect I am going for.

When clearcoating the top, you sometimes might get a little overspray on the sides of the enclosure. Because this is very light spray compared to the top coat, it can actually make the sides look a little dull and textured - if I’m not going to also be spraying the sides, then I will use rubbing compound to polish off the overspray so the sides go back to having roughly the same gloss as the top.

OK, this stuff takes a lot of trial-and-error. Still haven't perfected it, but here's my first halfway decent transfer. I was inspired by @SchlegFace's Flying Spaghetti Monster-themed Linguine King. Hence, the FSM drive...

1712970470086.png

Several specks of toner lifted off, mainly in the top text, “FSM Drive” so I dotted the voids with a sharpie. I like things that look home-made so I'm not sweating over perfection here.

Last edited:
OK, this stuff takes a lot of trial-and-error. Still haven't perfected it, but here's my first halfway decent transfer. I was inspired by @SchlegFace's Flying Spaghetti Monster-themed Linguine King. Hence, the FSM drive...

View attachment 72924

Several specks of toner lifted off, mainly in the top text, “FSM Drive” so I dotted the voids with a sharpie. I like things that look home-made so I'm not sweating over perfection here.

I think it looks amazing! Great job!

Mike

On my next attempt, I let it cool a lot longer before peeling off the mylar and it came off perfectly clear with no toner liftoff. Maybe that helped, I dunno.

Last edited:

View attachment 72924

Looks awesome!! May your tone be blessed by his noodly appendage! Ramen.

Back