Using amp resistors/capacitors in a pedal build

Tomnyhc

I saw a pedal builder talking about their pedal’s elevated build quality and highlighting their usage of 1watt resistors and high voltage axial caps.

What would be the benefits of building with these types of components? Would it make any difference in sound quality or is this kind of overkill?

Also worth mentioning this post is not intended to disparage this builder/brand. I’ve never played one of their pedals and assume they’re great.

I'm no EE, but it could have a negative effect though I doubt they're so far out of range.
Most things have an operating range they're designed for, and being outside this range can give less than ideal operating characteristics.
Try driving your car below 30km/h in 5th gear and see how well it works..

Lower rated resistors seem to have lower spec tolerance (of course you can measure them or buy lower tolerance parts) and seem to have lower hiss afaik.

TOAN?

In all seriousness, I think the parts should be chosen relative to what is being made. Wattage used should be based on the power that circuit loads.
The component choice, metal film vs carbon comp, is important because of the tolerances associated with them.

If you are trying to build as close to the original you would chose one over the other. I am sure the tolerances more than the material would make a difference. But then again the material could introduce artifacts like noise.

Last edited:
Lower rated resistors seem to have lower spec tolerance (of course you can measure them or buy lower tolerance parts) and seem to have lower hiss afaik.
If they’re the sort of resistors most often used in guitar amps, they’re carbon comp and probably have a 5% or 10% tolerance.

Iirc from an RG Keen article, component type makes a difference at tube amp levels of voltages, 200+. At 9V they probably don't make any difference.

Still, most boutique builders use mojo parts, NOS capacitors and carbon comps.

My fuzz builds use some of those parts because they look cool and they are easier to work with but I never noticed any difference going from the breadboard with modern parts to the final build with larger parts.

I feel I have to weigh in both as an EE and as someone that frequently builds pedals with carbon comp resistors and 630V axial caps.

There is no benefit to using overspec'd components in low voltage circuits. If you're not running at high voltages, there's absolutely no benefit in using high-voltage capacitors. Things like Mallory axial caps look super slick and it's cool to have vintage-looking parts in a pedal, but it doesn't give any reason to claim that the pedal is of a superior quality.

I will offer the caveat that the vast majority of pedals I build are tube pedals operating at high voltages, where component selection can be more important, as mentioned above.

I feel I have to weigh in both as an EE and as someone that frequently builds pedals with carbon comp resistors and 630V axial caps.

There is no benefit to using overspec'd components in low voltage circuits. If you're not running at high voltages, there's absolutely no benefit in using high-voltage capacitors. Things like Mallory axial caps look super slick and it's cool to have vintage-looking parts in a pedal, but it doesn't give any reason to claim that the pedal is of a superior quality.

I will offer the caveat that the vast majority of pedals I build are tube pedals operating at high voltages, where component selection can be more important, as mentioned above.
I was hoping you'd chime in!
You make both SMD and hand wired versions of your pedals. IIRC the hand wired versions use higher voltages and have more headroom, right?

I was hoping you'd chime in!
You make both SMD and hand wired versions of your pedals. IIRC the hand wired versions use higher voltages and have more headroom, right?
Correct, I run the SMD builds at about 235V and the hand wired builds (carbon comp resistors and Mallory caps) at 350V. There's obviously a difference in sound between the two, but you can use your imagination on how much of the difference is in component quality and how much is in higher plate voltage.

Back