Using fake germaniums?

bifurcation

I assume I'm not the only noob with a bag of fake germaniums?

I was wondering if something interesting (and probably ugly) could be done by... uh, measuring them and maybe running them in parallel? Maybe something in the spitty Shin-Ei range, or remaking the Reuss Muzzbox or something?

...or should I just throw them out?

are you talking diodes? If the forward voltage measures similar to a 1n4148 or bat41 or bat46, or any other common clipping diode, you can find plenty of uses for them as substitutes in overdrive and distortion circuits.

Fake how? like they don't measure? or they don't work at all? or they are empty packages?
Before I knew better, I bought a bunch of ✌️"AC128"✌️'s on eBay. I didn't even know what "measuring" meant 😒 but they sounded like shit, mostly just thin and harsh. So they ✌️"work"✌️, but I probably wouldn't build a fuzzface out of them.

I mostly just have an obsession with making weird unique pedals out of junk. ;)

What are their measurements? gain and leakage? If they are just out of spec, you can use them as germanum diodes. I use low gain germanium transistors as diodes in almost everything that asks for them.

You can use a transistor tester per the RG Keen method:

And if you want to streamline testing, a Peak Atlas DCA55 is an awesome tool. Gain and leakage readings made easy.

Definitely would test them before thinking of throwing them out!

Back