Using trimmers in place of pots

Danbieranowski

I like to do this from time to time if I'm doing a combo build and I want to hide some of the controls internally. Has anyone come up with a clever way of fitting the trimmer to the spaced 16mm PCB mount pot holes that isn't just putting a wire out to the 3 legs? I'm looking for something a little more professional or secure looking than that if anyone is aware of an adapter board or anything.

Exactly. One issue with vero is you can only solder to one side, making it tricky to use with header pins. The enclosed square type of trimmer is problematic… which side do you put the copper strips since the plastic of the header pins sit flush to the bottom, and the square box of the trimmer sits flush to the top. I’ve had better success using the ‘circle standing on three legs’ type of trimmer, since you can put the copper on the top and solder the exposed trimmer legs to the top.

a pcb would solve all of that and look very classy.

That's a good question. I didn't have pcb mounted pots on my build. I had a 1590BB enclosure and I think it would be close. Should be OK for a 125B height, they're about the size of some electrolytic caps

I've also used the multi-turn cermet trimmers as per AlmondCity, in a 1590BB. Don't recall having to lay 'm down.

As noted, they're about the size of a box film-cap. They should fit.

@almondcity @Feral Feline I've never seen one in person before so this is super helpful. On another note, does multi-turn mean they are more 'dial-in-able' than the standard trimmers we are used to that have about as much turn as a normal pot?
Absolutely!

As you've noted, the "normal" trimmers are just like a regular pot in terms of their amount of rotation they go from 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock; however, because of their smaller size than a regular pot with knob, they're much harder to give a subtle tweak to. If you're having trouble dialing in a knob on a build, try a bigger knob if you have room. For the trimmers, use the fattest screwdriver handle you can find and that will help slow down the turning ratio and make it a little easier to dial in the cursed things.

The first time I used a multi-turn cermet, I didn't realise it had such a huge range of adjustment. So the SHO I built for a friend (in a 1590A, and the cermet fit, to give you some size-indication) was modded to have the trimmer on the gain with a master volume — dial in the sweet spot and then let as much or little signal through as needed. I built it the night before my plane left to visit him with no time to test it other than it was passing signal in both bypass and engaged. In his practice space, it was woefully disappointing — hardly any boost at all to begin with and not much better after tweaking. So I left with my tail between my legs and did the homework I should've done from the get go — tip: read the datasheets on all your new-to-you components BEFORE you build your circuit. So I returned with the newfound knowledge that we could really crank this cermet — the boom was back!

I think these multi-turn things are great for chorus, flangers, univibes — anything known to be notoriously tricky-dicky to dial in the sweet spot.

This is a great idea - there are a lot of circuits that I just set and forget the tone control. I will definitely give this a try.

Back