[Vero] Green Rhino MkII

owlexifry

YATS, but with 5 knobs?
lots of praise for the circuit, but i wanted to see for myself.
- the 100Hz boost/cut feature looked similar to what I’d seen in the mxr m77 custom badass modified OD (wasn't awesome, but it was ok)
- and the curve control looks like a variable high pass control.
heck yeah, looks like a fine recipe.

wasn't gonna try and squeeze it all into a 125B, so i decided to go with 1590BB2. army green again.
i like big box pedals anyway.

(followed this layout)

E370563E-45B9-4044-9AB9-E14D68929793.jpeg
...almost used up all the 'inadvertent' 1/2W 10K resistors now :p

81F46624-03BF-4F5C-8963-21DD41270312.jpeg

AF9E7377-ABA4-43E7-9EF0-AE5EA63040DA.jpeg

for reference/comparisons, i hooked it up alongside some of my recent OD builds, the OD808 RI, and the ST-9

yep, it does the TS thing, not exactly the same flavour, but has a lot more control over the tone/EQ response.

as far as i can tell, everything on this build works properly.
the layout / original calls for PN2484 transistors, aionfx' schematic suggests 2N5088. I had a bag of 2N5089, so i used those. also subbed LF347 for TL074.

volume + drive controls - nothing unusual there.
tone - surprisingly more powerful than the usual TS tone control.
curve - can smoothly dial between the nice crisp stock 720hz TS high pass and a lower frequency (??Hz) high pass for a thicker overdrive - this is pretty cool.

100Hz - i have no idea what is going on with this control.
- all the way down, and it's like a monster low pass shelf that takes off all the highs and mids.
- you can't actually turn it all the way up because it will just boost noise from all the mid/ high-mid content that appears to be getting boosted from turning it up.
but at 12'-2 o clock it appears to return a pleasant and useable overdrive tone.

this '100Hz' control is behaving so absurdly, I'm actually wondering if there's an error in the layout or my build (cant find anything yet)
there's really not that many components to this control, i measured all of the caps + resistors etc.
1686009121688.png
like yes, the pedal works and it sounds good, the '100Hz' control is certainly cutting and boosting something, but it definitely ain't 100Hz.
or maybe i'm just fried.
idk. this really confounds me.

also, can we please discuss this ridiculous input buffer?
1686008148277.png
for something that is supposed to be conducive to low-noise.... well, this build certainly didn't reflect that.
a lot more idle noise than the ST-9, OD808, or OD820 builds I've done recently
(not sure if this could be due to poor vero layout design or otherwise, but still, im comparing vero vs vero - and the OD820 even has a cursed chargepump)
hercules-kevin-sorbo.gif

was actually really stoked with the build and how it turned out, so of course i really wanted to like it, but sadly this will probably end up sitting on the shelf.
(not because it's a bad circuit, it's just not giving me the joy I get from the ST-9 or OD808)

Last edited:
Back