DEMO [Vero] ROSS Phaser (OTA)

This post contains an audio or video demo

owlexifry

after doing a phase 90 (JFET), and the mutron phasor II (LDR), it was time to try an OTA-based phaser.

turns out there’s a few different versions of the ross phaser:
(source: http://home-wrecker.com/phaserguide.html)
the first was essentially a phase 90 clone (JFET-based) with a feedback control.
second was also JFET.
then all subsequent versions were OTA IC based circuits.
so after seeing a layout available for a LM13600-based ross phaser, i was determined to build one with LM13700 ICs.

DF2D0C33-F17B-4952-BA2A-5568838CC694.png 890476F8-5A0B-4EAC-8F79-0F8986CC1793.png

ordering 1/2W resistors from tayda was a bit of whoopsie.. not too bad, i’ll take the accidental mojo
2BDAAC7B-46EE-400F-8CE6-3D3911BF97C3.jpeg

C315F85F-1E47-4A10-A566-A555C1132E43.jpeg

631E02F1-A491-458E-B5B5-0ABE112EB3AC.jpeg

E94F87CA-200A-496D-A4CA-19332D242AA1.jpeg

pretty pleased with this one.

yeah there’s many other OTA-based phasers out there that can do a lot more (like the EQD grand orbiter 🤤), but i’m quite pleased with the capability of this 2 knob unit.
i was actually kinda bummed with the mutron phasor ii.
it’s very capable. it can do a lot of cool sounds, sounds great, but i found it just didn’t work for overdriven/distorted amp tones. amazing with clean/mild breakup, but for high gain overdrive, the effect seemed to get lost/drowned and didn’t sound very good.
so it never got on my board 😥 - the mighty phase 90 just works.

but that didn’t happen with this ross phaser.
it does pretty much what the phase 90 can do, and more.
that ‘recycle’ (feedback) control is fantastic, and brings it into that deep level of phasing that the mutron has.

but what i was very relieved to find is that this actually works with overdrive/distortion. feck yeah.
hooray for OTA.

Last edited:
Nice. I really enjoy the Whetstone phaser. It can be really subtle and add some thickness to your tone.
whetstone looks incredible. there’s even a vero layout available! but i’m not feeling brave enough just yet - x5 switches + a rotary switch and x4 pots 😅 yikes

That is some chewy goodness! Great pedal!
ay cheers! quite surprised to find this to be better for me / more applicable than the mutron

My favorite phaser for bass. I had one on my board the whole time I was gigging. I also built the 8 stage version and made it switchable.
bass hey? interesting you mention that...

when i was A/B-ing this ROSS vs the phase 90 (vero), i found the ROSS to be cutting a noticeable amount of low end... so much so, that I almost want to try and do something about it... (what about a larger input cap?)
knowing hardly anything about OTA ICs or their limitations, I've assumed it's 10nF input cap was selected intentionally to avoid to much low end overloading them, but then I check the phase 90 schematic and guess what - also has a 10n input cap......

i guess it's difficult to compare apples with oranges (JFET vs OTA)..

holy crap - there’s an 8 stage version? 😨🤤

I dig the guitar string packaging for insulation! Sounds great.
haha thanks! normally just cut a piece of scrap card to size, but then i saw the empty string packet sitting in front of me and thought hey this will be even easier and quicker if i just fold this up...
the insulation probably isn't necessary for this build (no switches + pots covered), but it's become a habit, so i do it for everything. just feels like the right thing to do.

whetstone looks incredible. there’s even a vero layout available! but i’m not feeling brave enough just yet - x5 switches + a rotary switch and x4 pots 😅 yikes

ay cheers! quite surprised to find this to be better for me / more applicable than the mutron

bass hey? interesting you mention that...

when i was A/B-ing this ROSS vs the phase 90 (vero), i found the ROSS to be cutting a noticeable amount of low end... so much so, that I almost want to try and do something about it... (what about a larger input cap?)
knowing hardly anything about OTA ICs or their limitations, I've assumed it's 10nF input cap was selected intentionally to avoid to much low end overloading them, but then I check the phase 90 schematic and guess what - also has a 10n input cap......

i guess it's difficult to compare apples with oranges (JFET vs OTA)..

holy crap - there’s an 8 stage version? 😨🤤

haha thanks! normally just cut a piece of scrap card to size, but then i saw the empty string packet sitting in front of me and thought hey this will be even easier and quicker if i just fold this up...
the insulation probably isn't necessary for this build (no switches + pots covered), but it's become a habit, so i do it for everything. just feels like the right thing to do.
Yessir, tonepad has a mod where you can add additional stages. It’s basically unusable but sounds crazy. I never really noticed any low ended loss, but I was playing on a full bass stack. I really only used it playing sweet emotion.

Yessir, tonepad has a mod where you can add additional stages. It’s basically unusable but sounds crazy. I never really noticed any low ended loss, but I was playing on a full bass stack. I really only used it playing sweet emotion.
dude! this is rad
1677453620754.png

aw hell yeah - that'd be perfect for that song.

I would go for the PCB for something this size. Just doing the offboard wiring of the pots and switches are enough to justify the price!

Plus, I have a Tayda UV print design ready to go for you! (White only)

I would go for the PCB for something this size. Just doing the offboard wiring of the pots and switches are enough to justify the price!

Plus, I have a Tayda UV print design ready to go for you! (White only)
true, a PCB would be far more sensible 😅

ayyy thanks! i appreciate the generous offer

Back