DEMO VFE Red Wolf

This post contains an audio or video demo

jjjimi84

Well-known member
This week is a continuation of last week’s video. While filming this demo I accidentally knocked over a full glass of water into my tweed deluxe and it was not great. Lately I have been running a wet/dry rig and the wet amp got soaked. Not to let a small mistake ruin my day, I forged ahead and filmed this gem. The VFE Red Wolf distortion is such a great sounding pedal and one of my builds that I am really proud of. I knew I want to show it off but could not think of a reason to since the boards are not readily available.

That lead to the op amp swap idea and then madness ensued.

This video is a bit longer than normal but I think I like the extended videos. It feels more like a natural fit for what I want to do, what do you all think?

I like the new build report camera layout but am still not over the moon on the camera mics, going to adjust that.

Here is a link to the video


And here are some pictures

IMG_3639.jpeg
IMG_3643.jpeg

On a totally unrelated note, did you all know that youtube tells creators the best time to post content? The tracking and insight gives me the creeps, they said I should post on Thursdays between 12-3.

To stick it to the robots here it is on Friday. Suck it google!
 
Damn, it's so cool to see your vids again. I haven't even looked at this one yet but it's next after this Post reply click. Graphics up to their usual standard, VFE would do well by hiring you as their graphics designer, although I've lost track of whether they're in business or back out.

OK, now that I've listened, the wolf graphic pretty much describes the pedal. What a kickin guitar too. The V demo does great justice to the Hendrix roar sound on the JTM before any of the pedal madness begins. I love that sound.
 
Last edited:
Damn, it's so cool to see your vids again. I haven't even looked at this one yet but it's next after this Post reply click. Graphics up to their usual standard, VFE would do well by hiring you as their graphics designer, although I've lost track of whether they're in business or back out.

OK, now that I've listened, the wolf graphic pretty much describes the pedal. What a kickin guitar too. The V demo does great justice to the Hendrix roar sound on the JTM before any of the pedal madness begins. I love that sound.
Vfe is in and out of business like I am in and out of the bathroom after an all you can eat buffett….

That V is really something else, the pick ups are a bit hotter then what I am used to but for how cheap the guitar was, it is outstanding. Over the last couple years I have picked up a few Epiphones and am absolutely blown away by how they play and sound.

Thank you for watching! I love using that jtm 45, with the new setup all of the big boy amps are in play! I want you to imagine a 50 watt plexi with the axis fuzz to get those Bold as Love sounds, it is glorious and can now be captured on film.
 
I built a 20 watt version of the plexi back when I still built amps and when I first fired up it had that "roar". It's not really a distortion but a weird lower midrange drive that was totally captured by your V. I was using my strat as a bench guitar and as I messed with the gain in the amp I destroyed that sound and never got it back. It's like the only part of an otherwise edge of breakup sound that busts out into gain territory. At the time it made all the hairs on my arm stand up it was so cool and as I continued to mod the amp I was never able to recapture. Robin Trower seems to be able to get it even on his newest albums. That and his original Univibe sound haunt me as dragons to slay.
 
I’ve always liked his work. What is this pedal based on or is it an original? The Alpha Dog is a Rat isn’t it? What’s the fiery red horse?
The alpha dog is the original series based on the rat, this is the simplified live series based on the rat.

Fiery red horse is muffled based.
 
I built a 20 watt version of the plexi back when I still built amps and when I first fired up it had that "roar". It's not really a distortion but a weird lower midrange drive that was totally captured by your V. I was using my strat as a bench guitar and as I messed with the gain in the amp I destroyed that sound and never got it back. It's like the only part of an otherwise edge of breakup sound that busts out into gain territory. At the time it made all the hairs on my arm stand up it was so cool and as I continued to mod the amp I was never able to recapture. Robin Trower seems to be able to get it even on his newest albums. That and his original Univibe sound haunt me as dragons to slay.
Can you build it back to stock?

I have never heard anyone describe that plexi mid range so accurately.

The JTM and Plexi used to sit next to me when I filmed and I would get all of this hum from them being so close to the pick ups. Now they are about 8-10 feet away and it is gone and all I want is to let them roar fire. They are completely impractical and unruly but it is a SOUND!

The midrange bark and growl is so addictive.
I used to own the Distortion 3 and Old School tremolo back in the day. I think those were the names. Very versatile circuits.
Two incredible circuits and my old school build will stay with me forever. Some might say that they have too many options and it can be a tweakers delight.

Madbean has a ton of the VFE stuff and I recommend you build a few of those. They will put hair on your chest and pull hair out of your head. Super tight builds, uncommon components and all stuffed in a 1590b…

That distortion 3 circuit is tight, it did a great boost sound, a nice little overdrive and the distorted tones were so cool. I hope whoever borrowed mine is loving it because it is long gone😫
Great video Dan, great to see your videos again and you are ripping it!
Noice!
Thanks Mate!!! Remember that elecladymamaflanger thingy you and @Chuck D. Bones did? Can the people get boards for that, if I shot a demo? Modulation for the masses.
 
Back
Top