VHS question. Subbing 25pf for 15pf in C7 slot

allsmoke

Hi all,

Looks like I got a bad batch of capacitors. Just ran 10 through my tester and all reported damaged part. I tested with other capacitors in between so I know the reader is good. The closest I have is a 25pf. I've never used or built anything with an FV1 chip before.
From the schematic it looks like C7 runs into leg 12 on the FV1 and is also connected to the crystal and leg 9. I don't know what those do, so I am unsure if I can sub in a 25pf instead of the recommended 15pf?

Thank you as always.

Hi all,

Looks like I got a bad batch of capacitors. Just ran 10 through my tester and all reported damaged part. I tested with other capacitors in between so I know the reader is good. The closest I have is a 25pf. I've never used or built anything with an FV1 chip before.
From the schematic it looks like C7 runs into leg 12 on the FV1 and is also connected to the crystal and leg 9. I don't know what those do, so I am unsure if I can sub in a 25pf instead of the recommended 15pf?

Thank you as always.
There may be nothing wrong with your tester. Most testers, DMM's etc can't read a 15pf cap.
None of mine can. Anything that low, I just assume it's good and run with it:)

Edit: I meant to say "nothing wrong with your capacitors" not tester.

Last edited:
There may be nothing wrong with your tester. Most testers, DMM's etc can't read a 15pf cap.
None of mine can. Anything that low, I just assume it's good and run with it:)

Edit: I meant to say "nothing wrong with your capacitors" not tester.

Thanks for this. I just went back to my tester docs, and the limit starts at 25, which explains why it was saying unknown value or damaged part.

Just put the pedal on the protoboard and it works great. Thank you

Back