SOLVED VIIB and Byzantium distorted bypass signal

Diynot

So I just noticed this the other day, first with the Byzantium and then with the VIIB. The pedals work just fine otherwise, but I def get some distortion in bypass mode when strumming hard. Am I driving the the output buffers too hard, or is this Indicative of something else? No, I haven’t been through the component values yet, just out fishing for ideas. Oddly enough, the Byzantium didn’t do it today when I tested again

The Byzantium is true-bypass, it should have no effect on the sound whatsoever when bypassed.

The VIIB can be true-bypass or buffered, so it's a possibility if you have it set to buffered bypass mode.

If the LED turns off when the pedal is bypassed you are in true-bypass mode and it should have no effect on the tone.

If the LED changes color when the pedal is bypass you are in buffered-bypass mode. You can switch to true-bypass mode by disconnecting power from the pedal, then reapply power while holding down the footswitch.

Hmmmm. sorry, I didn’t realize the bzy was true bypass. ASSumed since it was based on a boss circuit….. yeah, the VIIB in true bypass is of course, fine, but when I’m in buffered mode is when I get the distortion. I do like the buffered mode for the silent switching though. So do I need to go poking around in that beautiful stacked board then?

@PedalPCB just a follow up, this was totally a biasing issue on the VIIB. Finally got a DMM with frequency and got that set and then strummed guitar while adjusting the bias trimmer and BAM, good to go, even in buffered bypass.

Back