VIIB (Boss VB-2)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This is a really cool pedal!

I've never really messed with a true vibrato effect before. So this is my first.

Kinda has me in a swampy roots based music mood. Got me thinking a bit about my next SUAPYG episode...watch out, more Yacht Rock might be coming your way!

I don't know too much about the lineage of this pedal but it looks like the only version commercially available is the Waza Craft version that has some additional features.

This build sounds pretty killer, very quiet and the "momentary ramp" feature is really quite cool. (Although hard to operate with hands on my desk, heh)

Like all the other double decker PedalPCB projects I've built it looks more complicated than it really is. Superbly laid out and NO LOW PROFILE CAPS REQUIRED yeehaw!

It went together pretty quickly once I had all the parts for it. I started with the trimmer settings at noon and it worked well first time firing it up.
The bias trimmer was pretty much dead on, I think I may have ended with a tiny skooch clockwise to get the cleanest effect.
The second trimmer adjusts the range of modulation and at extreme settings it can get really wacky. I wound up returning to noon after messing with it.
This gives me a nice subtle vibrato at the Depth knob's lowest setting. I don't see me ever using the more extreme settings.

The only goofy parts I used was a couple of parallel caps to get 200p and 6u8 electro. (2u2 + 4u7) I also used a Red-Blue Common cathode led instead of red-green. Otherwise everything else was according to the BOM.

Speaking of the LED. Mine stays on red all the time, even when using the momentary feature. Not sure exactly how it's supposed to work but I'm not getting the blue side at all.

This kinda fits into the same category as the Pendulum for me, really cool effect that I'll probably use rarely but glad to have this sound in my arsenal!

Another great project from @Robert!

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4251.JPG

IMG_4252.JPG

Nice! The VIIB is probably my favorite modulation. I put a nice big knob on the rate pot and keep the others noonish. Put it on the floor and make use of the momentary for a while. You might like it even more.

Great build! I think this is the coolest PCB in the store. The momentary switch design is way better than the original.

You might try resetting the switch with the "hold down foot switch and power" procedure. If the procedure isn't in the build docs it is on the forum somewhere. Might get the bi-LED working. Definitely recommend running it in buffered mode versus true bypass.

Edit: To switch modes you need to hold down the foot switch when you plug it in. Classic mode has the dual-LED. It's also dead quiet when you use the momentary feature, which is why I recommended it.

Here's the link: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/viib-mode-activation.9016/

Last edited:
Great build! I think this is the coolest PCB in the store. The momentary switch design is way better than the original.

You might try resetting the switch with the "hold down foot switch and power" procedure. If the procedure isn't in the build docs it is on the forum somewhere. Might get the bi-LED working. Definitely recommend running it in buffered mode versus true bypass.

Edit: To switch modes you need to hold down the foot switch when you plug it in. Classic mode has the dual-LED. It's also dead quiet when you use the momentary feature, which is why I recommended it.

Ah ok so you need to have the switch held down then plug in the power jack? I was doing it wrong then. I try that tomorrow!

Thanks @Bio77, that did the trick! My blue side is working now in buffered bypass!

Back