Warning - Don't hotswap your Daisy Seed

Robert

Reverse Engineer
Just a heads up.... I doubt anyone here is dumb enough to do it (aside from myself), but don't hotswap your Daisy Seed into the Terrarium (or any other) PCB with power applied...

Disconnect power before plugging/unplugging the Seed module.

Don't ask me how I know this. ? ? ?

I think you want something with male pin headers Bc the daisy seed has holes down each side rather than pins. Something like this: Jabinco 30 Pcs 40 pin Breakable Pin Header 2.54mm Single Row Male Header Connector Kit PCB Pin Strip for Arduino https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0817JG3XN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nivGFbADSBKDB
As a general rule, I prefer to socket ICs and Microcontrollers. So in this situation I would solder female headers to the Terrarium and male headers to the Daisy. It'll make it easy to swap out the Daisy if needed. In addition, it looks like the Daisy is supposed to be mounted on the same side as the components between the two rows of pins and female headers would be needed to provide enough head room for the components.

As a general rule, I prefer to socket ICs and Microcontrollers. So in this situation I would solder female headers to the Terrarium and male headers to the Daisy. It'll make it easy to swap out the Daisy if needed. In addition, it looks like the Daisy is supposed to be mounted on the same side as the components between the two rows of pins and female headers would be needed to provide enough head room for the components.
Ah that makes sense!

It still blinks...I haven't tried reading from it...THAT happened due to another issue...lots of noise..I pulled it and jumped 16 to 18 and that was clear...I'm guessing pin header.

You're probably ok then. Mine was scorching hot... hot enough that I smelled the problem before I knew it existed.

It was completely dead as well, no lights, nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: fig
Code:
dfu-util: Warning: Invalid DFU suffix signature
dfu-util: A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release
Opening DFU capable USB device...
Device ID 0483:df11
Device DFU version 011a
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Interface #0 ...
Determining device status...
DFU state(2) = dfuIDLE, status(0) = No error condition is present
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 1024
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash   "
Downloading element to address = 0x08000000, size = 55252
Erase           [=========================] 100%        55252 bytes
Erase    done.
Download        [=========================] 100%        55252 bytes
Download done.
File downloaded successfully
Submitting leave request...
dfu-util: Error during download get_status
make: *** [program-dfu] Error 74
The terminal process "zsh '-c', 'make clean; make; make program-dfu'" terminated with exit code: 2.

Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

That part seems to work...

Fixed the noisy bit, and no fried modules..yay. I'll try some different programs...anyone have a favorite?

Back