Way Huge 25th Anniversary help (vero)

jwyles90

Hey all!

I just finished putting together this 25th Anniversary Red Llama build. It's like, 85% functional and I've hit a bit of a wall figuring out what's wrong. The drive and volume all work as should (and sound awesome), but the hi-cut knob isn't really doing anything.

I measured the pot itself and was able to see it go from 0 to 100k as I swept through its range, tested continuity from lug 2 to ground and lug 1 to the 33nF cap (I got a beep on one end of the cap but not the other, not sure if that's normal or not). Double checked all my connections, ran a knife and even the tip of my soldering iron through the tracks near where it's connected, and even replaced the pot for good measure. Still nothing.

I'm hoping y'all might be able to spot something on here that I'm missing, or help point me in the right direction as to where to go from here since I'm pretty stumped on what else could be causing it to not function properly. I know its a vero build so that might prove to be more challenging, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks a ton!
IMG_9125.JPG IMG_9126.JPG IMG_9127.JPG

I’ve flipped back and forth several times. Did you say you have continuity between volume one and ground? You should, that’s what would increase or decrease the volume and tone.

I’ve flipped back and forth several times. Did you say you have continuity between volume one and ground? You should, that’s what would increase or decrease the volume and tone.
Yea I’ve got continuity between volume 1 and ground. Also between hi-cut 2+3 and ground when the pot is fully clockwise, and then between all three lugs and ground when counter clockwise.
So it seems like it’s going to ground somewhere that it shouldn’t be? I just can’t seem to figure out where

I own one and I agree the hi cut is pretty subtle
I’m watching this video, it’s a very subtle effect, in my perception, anyway.

Yea I could hardly tell the difference in that video between it being at noon to fully clockwise. I guess mine is still not cutting any of the high end like it does in the video with it rolled all the way off. So it just sounds like it’s fully clockwise throughout the duration of its sweep.

Which isn’t a bad thing since I like how it sounds, but a little frustrating since I can’t figure out why it’s not working in any capacity.

I built this exact layout, it works and the tonestack is definitely noticable. Check whether you have any solder bridges and if the solder joints are good. Looks a bit rough on the board specifically around the area where tone and volume knobs connect.

Back