Weber MiniMass headphone troubleshooting

Synchrony Pedalworks

I had posted earlier about my issues with the Weber Minimass headphone tap. In brief, I get a crackling sound with headphone use only. The attenuated amp sounds normal. After dealing with this issue for a few years, I decided to open the device. I found some immediate issues. For example, the output from the amp to the headphone rheostat was not soldered (see picture). I did fix that issue, but my problem remained There is also a random wire form the headphone rheostat not connected to anything. The rest of of the attenuator does match the schematic listed, but the quality of the soldering is poor. My goal of this thread is to fix the issue and not bash Weber, but I was surprised by the lack of quality.

This schematic doesn't have the headphone tap, but as I can tell, it is simply a 25 W, 500 Ohm rheostat. Since that is the only part between the amp output and the headphones, the issue might lie with that part. Would you all replace that part or try something different? I have seen Rob Robinette's headphone box use a L-pad attenuator.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I have contacted Weber about the issue and the quality problems, but I am awaiting a response. Thanks!

MiniMass schematic.JPG IMG_6533.jpg IMG_6529.jpg IMG_6534.jpg IMG_6532.jpg IMG_6531.jpg

The rheostat leg that is opposite the one that had the unsoldered wire looks like a cold solder to me. I have no idea if that could be causing the issue, but I know I’ve had all sorts of intermittent issues from “slightly” cold solders. I wonder if with a bright light and magnifying glass you could find a footprint that matches the small solder blob on the end of that stray wire. I’m thinking it goes to the sleeve lug on the Jack that it’s hovering near. Doesn’t the other green wire coming off that rheostat lug go to the other jack‘s sleeve lug?

But hopefully someone with more knowledge will chip in soon. It is very disappointing to see anything built with such horrible soldering!

@Alan W I agree with you. I was waiting until Weber has a decent chance to reply to the issue, but I was thinking of redoing most of the soldering.

I have had the device for several years (past any warranty), so I do not think they are obligated to help.

Back