What is the grimiest grossest most over the top fuzz/distortion

Anything PLL based (super heterodyne. Parasit studio into the unknown) is my vote. Parasit also has the c19 databus drive which does the square wave fuzz very…….raunchy and if turn the gate down, will crackle, pop, feedback for days and you don’t HAVE to solder the 259 LEDs, but where’s the fun in that.

Anything PLL based (super heterodyne. Parasit studio into the unknown) is my vote. Parasit also has the c19 databus drive which does the square wave fuzz very…….raunchy and if turn the gate down, will crackle, pop, feedback for days and you don’t HAVE to solder the 259 LEDs, but where’s the fun in that.
That c19 box is CRAZY.

Adventure audio dream reaper, fairfield unpleasant surprise, and a friend of mine makes very serious noise machines,

Check out his "Angel Teeth" and "Tides"

Isn’t the low tide very similar in sound? If you want a dead simple, low parts count build, try the runoffgroove Buzz Box. It’s 2 Bazz Fuzz circuits in series. Tons of tweakability available

You could also add an instant lofi junky to any of these pedals, and that will make it even more disgusting.
Or Escobedo's LofoMoFo, on a momentary stomper.
Not similar in function, but the name reminded me of the Escobedo circuit.

That thing is amazing. Do you know anyone who sells a PCB for it?
Add the above LofoMofo to the PItchWitch or Chalumeau (I forget which does what). The LofoMofo can be built on a postage-stamp size perf.

Also, I forgot about the Codtone Codpiece (Jordan Bosstone) which, like Mentaltossflycoon's suggestion, has a switch that flips one of the transistors — Peyote mode — for massive mayhem.

Love this thread.

That thing is amazing. Do you know anyone who sells a PCB for it?
I'm sorry, I don't see any pcb's gor that. It is kinda a weird pedal that makes anything you put into it low fidelity. It can get pretty chaotic and ridiculous. Also noisy. Really if you want really gross distortion, then take one of these suggestions and add a fuzz factory to the signal chain. It will get ridiculous. No really. It will. Look at some videos. Some times it is literally unusable.

You've gotta get the right chip for Christine and The Great Destroyer, ie the CD4049 BUFFERED. NOT the 4049UBE (unbuffered). Either circuit will still work with the UBE, but neither get freq'n'crazy with UBE.

A lot of places claim to have the CD4049, but then ship you a CD4049UBE. How do I know? Let's just say I've got enough CD4049UBE chips to build all the 4049UBE circuits I've ever come across (I started a separate build doc for the list), and I still don't have a CD4049 BUFFERED.
I have a pretty good idea why you can't find any CD4049 buffered...

They don't exist.

I have a pretty good idea why you can't find any CD4049 buffered...

They don't exist.
That would explain it. 🤔

Jokes on me, all these things I've read online from disparate sources about the buffered chip being required for this effect or that circuit.
Here I was, unwittingly perpetuating the terminological inexactitude. 🤥

I thought the CD4049BE was buffered, and the CD4049UBE was unbuffered. 🤪

What about the MC14049BCPG? I guess that's just more of the same... 💩

That would explain it. 🤔

Jokes on me, all these things I've read online from disparate sources about the buffered chip being required for this effect or that circuit.
Here I was, unwittingly perpetuating the terminological inexactitude. 🤥

I thought the CD4049BE was buffered, and the CD4049UBE was unbuffered. 🤪

What about the MC14049BCPG? I guess that's just more of the same... 💩
Dunno about the 14049. On Semi keeps the internals a secret on their website. If anyone can find a CD4049B datasheet, I'd like to see it. All I can find is CD4049UBE.

Back