What's under your bench...

Wow, I was sitting on my front porch typing a Stricklandized response ( apropos ) and a very loud BZZZRRRRZZZZAAAP! came from up the road, followed by a loud POP from down the road the other direction. I swear I could feel the vibration of that BZZZ. I've stood 6 feet from a lightning strike. It's sobering! Anyway so my first concern was for the workers at the building site from the direction of the awful arc-to-ground noise. A few minutes passed and emergency vehicles whizzed by and all traffic stopped. Thankfully, nobody was injured. But it did interrupt my post so there's that. Oh, and no coffee!

Ever seen ball lightning?

When I was a kid I had a pet squirrel... one afternoon I was sitting in a recliner with him in my lap, out of nowhere he jumped up and darted off, which was unusual for him.

About two seconds later I heard a loud lighting strike and a fireball (I say fire, it was more like a ball of sparks or plasma) about the size of a basketball came through the sliding glass doors beside me, shot across the room and went into the wall. My grandmother said she saw a flash of light in the other room but didn't see anything else.

There was no damage to the glass or the wall....

I didn't know what I had seen for years until one day I stumbled across this image on Wikipedia. I'll certainly never forget it.

Ball_lightning.png

The globe in the room. I have not seen it, but have heard those who have, describe it the same way.

I saw le globe de feu just once, but it wasn't dans la salle.

Very interesting it passed through the glass in your case, given glass is used as an insulator!

I also saw chain-lightning in Nor-Cal visiting my Dad's cousin when I was 7. It was the biggest lightning/thunderstorm I've ever been in (even surpassing HK Typhoons); the constant crashes of thunder and lightning lasted all night before slacking off slightly by 4am. Books off their shelves, plates falling out of closed cupboards — everyone huddled in the living-room together and we wee kids could sense even the adults were frightened.

Oh, and back on topic...

latest
Potsie.

Very interesting it passed through the glass in your case, given glass is used as an insulator!

Not much seems to slow down lightening on its chosen path to Earth!

Oh, and back on topic...

latest
Potsie.

Oooh a mystery image with the clue "Potsie"

Now, my first thought is Opie Cunningham's answer to Eddie Haskell, but then again the image of a Crapper, Toilet, Pot, Commode, Jakes, Privy, Potty, Cloakroom, is coming through strong!

I googled yesterday and there are several similar stories, and oddly most of them involve someone seeing it as child at their grandmothers house.
Either these things are targeting kids who are visiting grandmother, or they're attracted to moth balls....

BTW this was still somewhat on topic, just to recap "one afternoon I was sitting in a recliner". :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
I sit on a plastic milk crate. With a cushion on it. My work area is pretty low and sitting on a proper chair too long caused neck pain from hunching over. The crate is about 10cm / 4 inches lower, so I can sit and work for longer before hurty time.

EDIT: Photo attached.

Attachments

• MC.jpg
    MC.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hmm, I'm around 190cm and do find myself hunching a bit...but that's probably due to the janky cylinder...it pops worse when retracted, so I keep it higher...

Man...milk crates have been a staple of humanity since their inception. Like hotel towels or similar, they have always been a target for pilfering. It was such a relief to my conscience when someone finally cashed in on the retail market. :LOL:

Incidentally, I had a gig at a dairy in my 20s. Thousands of milk crates! All the ice cream you could eat! Out on the crate dock (yes a dock dedicated to milk crates and their reclaiming / cleaning), there was Alphonso. He had built a catacomb of milk crates stacked 8 high amongst the hundreds of stacks on the dock, and in the center was an opening that he converted into a secret breakroom. Word got out, and it was a popular spot for goofing off until of course it was discovered by management.

I've got one of those old high school science lab stools. I usually work standing so I use it more to lean a butt cheek on once in a while more than actually sitting on it.

Herman Miller....now there's a name I'll not soon forget. Anyway, he's long forgotten now. What was the topic? Oh someone needs a chair you say....

So Herman Miller had a Hemi 'Cuda. That thing was.....A freakin Hemi 'Cuda, that's what it was! As you might imagine Herman liked to drive fast. One day he talked me into riding with him to the record store across town. I knew it would be a wild ride, especially when he ordered me to "strap in" as I closed the door. As my vision cleared, I realized Herman had blown through a red light. H-Herm-Herman I struggled to get out....you just ran that red light! "It's okay, my brother does it all the time" He laughed. Again and again we repeated this GIF from hell, each time Herman laughing and exclaiming that all was well, because his brother did it all the time. Suddenly, we approached a red light, not unlike the dozens we had just scorned but Herman came to a screeching halt! When I once again regained my senses I sobbed Herman, why? He quietly and calmly said "Dude, my brother comes home from work this way".

Back