When I'm not troubleshooting pedals...

Hey, it's all good. I'm trying to figure out why pedal builders favor older cars.
Is it because we appreciate vintage machines?
Is it because as DIYers we can fix them ourselves?
Or is it because after spending so much $$$ on guitars, amps and electronics parts, it's all we can afford?

She needs a bath...

Emma 02.jpg

That's a properly, villainous looking Jag. As for the vintage cars, they were freely available to me so long as I could get them started! I took the green sedan for myself. After replacing the shocks, steering gear box, reupholstering it, changing the a/c compressor, it is a pleasure to drive. The wagon I got started for my wife as she had fond childhood memories of riding in the backseat on drives with her grandparents.

My daily driver is a 2020 Civic Si. It's my first manual and I wanted to get one before they go the way of the dodo.

Q: How do you prevent Millennials stealing your car?

A: Install a manual gearbox.

My previous Jag was a V12 XJ-S. The only thing smoother than that 5.3L V12 was an electric car. A popular mod was to remove the GM TH400 auto trans and install a Tremec 5-speed manual trans. I regret never doing that because the TH400 was holding that car back.

“What’s a ‘manual’ grandpa?”

Some Millennials do know how to drive stick, so if you really want to confound them get a 3-in-the-tree (with electronic OD so you can at least drive on the freeway/highway)…

I once had a Ford van with 3-on-the-tree shifting. What a Rube Goldberg nightmare. And if that wasn't enough, it had manual steering and the PO installed wide tires and an undersized steering wheel. Parallel parking was a real workout. Still... it had a bed in the back. ;)

I don't work on cars. I have a Honda, so I don't need to. :)

But I've worked plenty on my bikes. It was a '98 Harley Fatboy which really got the ball rolling. I took the shine off the chrome with scotchbrite, put Sporty bars on it, footpegs instead of the ridiculous heavy footboards, 6-pot PM front brake, Mikuni Carb, drag pipes, tractor seat, and new tins all powdercoated in texture black, just like most of my pedals. I was very inspired by Exile choppers in Hollywood.

Now I have an '08 Triumph Bonneville. Similar treatment - texture black fenders and tank, scotchbrited M-bars, cafe racer seat, pod air filters and rejetted carbies, way better suspension, bar-end mirrors, etc. Huge fun to ride and not nearly as crazy loud as the Harley was. I love the Bonnie and have had her for ten years now.

When I had the Harley I was learning how to work on it and had help from a guy called Bill from Colorado. He was a great guy and taught me loads. I was sad when he moved back to the US.

I was sad when he moved back to the US.
These days, I'll bet he is too.

Stock Harleys are not loud. But there aren't too many Harleys around here with stock exhaust systems. I have 2" drag pipes on my Sporty. I ran 'em straight for a while but it was a bit much. It now has shortened baffles in the pipes. Harleys & Triumphs used to be notorious for leaking oil. I don't know if the factories ever did anything about it. A big part of the problem was the crank cases were cast in two pieces with the seam running top to bottom. Older bikes had a "total loss" chain oiler that constantly pumped oil thru a little tube onto the chain. My bike has a plug where that tube used to go.

I bought my Harley from Geelong on the other side of Australia because it was (a) the exact bike I wanted, and (b) substantially cheaper there than where I live, owing to a heap of CUBs here at the time. (CUB = cashed up bogan, kind of like a cashed up redneck because of our huge mining industry). So to get it registered here the seller included all of the stock exhaust which weighed a ton! Once fitted the bike ran like a timid little mouse and sounded like a sewing machine.

Once it was registered I took off many kilos of weight in the foot boards, exhaust, pillion pad and sissy bar, and a heap of chromed sheet metal from forks, etc. I had quite a pile of parts to get rid of and they were not lightweight. I did change the pipes but never went with with straight pipes. I did have some kind of muffler in there but it was still annoyingly loud. I think I got sick of it before the neighbours did!

Back