Where can I purchase a w25k pot?

A homegrown pot is the best. I started buying only 1MΩ and reducing. Makes ordering MUCH easier.

Just to make sure I'm getting it right b/c it sounds genius: doing that w/ 1MΩ is just calculating the missing parallel resistor value between 1MΩ and the target pot resistance right and then connecting it to pin 1 and pin 3?

edit: well I guess any value but man the math is easy for 1mΩ

Just to make sure I'm getting it right b/c it sounds genius: doing that w/ 1MΩ is just calculating the missing parallel resistor value between 1MΩ and the target pot resistance right and then connecting it to pin 1 and pin 3?

edit: well I guess any value but man the math is easy for 1mΩ
Right. I use 1M because they are typically the highest values used. The resulting resistance will always be a bit lower than the lower value resistor used (except when 2 of the same value are used).

Bad idea. It messes up the taper. Pedals that use W taper usually need the W taper.
Isn't the taper decided by the thickness of the carbon layer at the position of the wiper?

( the same way linear and normal / reverse taper function )

Yes, for a bare pot. Adding resistors in series and/or parallel changes all that. You have to look at the bigger picture and consider how the pot's impedance varies with rotation and how that affects the rest of the circuit.

Yes, for a bare pot. Adding resistors in series and/or parallel changes all that. You have to look at the bigger picture and consider how the pot's impedance varies with rotation and how that affects the rest of the circuit.
Does parallel resistance have a different effect on a circuit than linear resistance?

btw, I appreciate the time you both are taking. I feel a learning moment coming my way. :D

As I understand it, the taper is determined by the thickness of the carbon trail along the path of the wiper. The thicker (wider) the larger % of the whole is seen durinng rotation, and visa-versa.
How is a Resistor going to change the thickness of the carbon trail along the path of the W wiper?
You can get close with Potentiometers that start out with the Same taper!

Reactions: fig
Back
Top Bottom