SOLVED Who else gets gremlins when socketing transistors?

MBFX

Tonight, I built a Fuzz Face with some Germanium transistors. It sounded amazing on the breadboard, so I committed it to vero using a layout I know to be good. Suddenly, it won't bias right and it sounds weak and shitty. I ended up rebuilding it on a breadboard, getting a good result, then re-socketing the transistors in the veroboard build. Suddenly, it is perfect.

Anyone else get problems with socketed transistors?

Solution
When using sockets, I've found some components have slightly thinner leads than others and can lead to connectivity gremlins. To overcome intermittent issues with socketed parts, I've started the practice of gently wrinkling the ends of the leads. (see attached image)

Wrinkled_Leads.jpg
Breadboard a pedal with EIGHT on-board components?! Ain't nobody got time for that!

I kid, of course.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that people put WAY too much emphasis on auditioning transistors.

So for me, I find ones that work in a circuit and leave it alone. Sockets on a PCB sounds nightmarish to me. Particularly on pedals people build more than one of and sell.

And finally, FWIW, whenever I do use sockets on a PCB, I either remove the sockets before permanently mounting the transistors - OR - I solder-tac the BJT in the socket, making it a more permanent application.

Back