Wire Question(s)

farwest1

Is there somewhere to source small amounts of hook-up wire in unusual colors (i.e. not red, white, green, blue, black, yellow) But like orange, pink, purple, light blue? I only need enough for a few projects at a time—don't want to pay for big reels.

Also, I find that solid wire is so much easier to work with. Is there a strong reason for going with stranded?

Lastly, is there a way to strip wire that's already been soldered? If, for instance, I want to loop another length of wire around a soldered end and need more exposed (for grounding maybe.)

Thanks!

1) DigiKey has lots of wire by the foot. I’ve got purple there before.

2) Solid wire stresses at the joints and curves much easier than stranded wire, it’s more prone to break after a few bends.

3) Get really good with an Xacto knife. Or desolder, strip, resolder. Or plan ahead better :D

Also It will look like shit but you can always heat up the joint and melt the wire jacket back a bit. Not recommended though.

The solid vs stranded wire is an issue which comes up in amp building too. Yes, solid wire is easier to work with and stays put better. But it also is way more liable to snap at critical places. There are places where it is fine to use solid - places where there will be zero movement, for example on vero board I use solid for the track jumpers because it stays straight and will never need to flex. But for connections from the board to pots or sockets I always use stranded because it won't snap from movement.

There is a place for both in pedals.

Back