XC Phase normal behavior?

brightlight

I built an XC Phase and it's working great. The phasing is nice and working as intended, the switches are working as intended as well.

There's just 2 things that MIGHT be an issue, but I couldn't tell you if they're normal behavior to begin with. I just did a quick test/trim pot tuning running straight into a studio monitor, which I know isn't ideal but it works lol. When I turn the pedal on the signal gets noticeably louder. Is this normal?

Also I'm using an HSH Ibanez and when using the middle and neck pickup everything is clinically clean but when going to the JB in the bridge position it seems to distort a little. Is this also normal behavior? I doubt the JB on its own could distort the input on my studio monitor, the input level is set fairly low.

Thanks!

jfet based phasers will always have a bit of crunch, the block logo have more than the script in my experience. if it's overly distorted then something isn't right.
Ok thank you. I wouldn't call it overly distorted, just not quite squeaky clean like it is with my neck humbucker and middle single coil. The JB is a good bit hotter than the Jazz and Quarter Pounder in that guitar so it makes sense now

I built an XC Phase and it's working great. The phasing is nice and working as intended, the switches are working as intended as well.

There's just 2 things that MIGHT be an issue, but I couldn't tell you if they're normal behavior to begin with. I just did a quick test/trim pot tuning running straight into a studio monitor, which I know isn't ideal but it works lol. When I turn the pedal on the signal gets noticeably louder. Is this normal?

Also I'm using an HSH Ibanez and when using the middle and neck pickup everything is clinically clean but when going to the JB in the bridge position it seems to distort a little. Is this also normal behavior? I doubt the JB on its own could distort the input on my studio monitor, the input level is set fairly low.

Thanks!
It has something to do with trimpot adjustment. I also had the same experienced hearing that compressed sound (somewhat overdriven) sound.

Tune by ear, back it off a bit (counter clockwise) while listening back and forth between the bypass sound and while it is on. I suggest use the single coil on your guitar instead of the Seymour JB so you can better hear if the bypass sound is almost as matching the the sound of the phase. In my case, I can hear the quality of my Dimarzio singles even while the effect is on. Also, I didn't notice volume jump from bypass to effect on or maybe just a little volume jump.

Back