SOLVED XC Phase not making any sound

Atharanic

Hi guys!
1st time posting a thread here and english is my second language. I read and used the forum before for troubleshooting other PedalPCB projects, but I can't find anything that helped me on that one. And my approach to pedal making is a "Paint by Number" one, meaning I follow instruction, don't have a clue the reason why I'm doing things, really. I have a multimeter with which I can use continuity and check caps. I finished 15 pedals, including an Electrovibe and an Hydra, all working. Some I've troubleshoot and then got to work. But this one...

SO! The problem is this: pedal off, true bypass works, clean sound is heard. Pedal ON: LED lights up when on, no sound. I hear a click when I switch the Stages toggle, but nothing else, no sound. I fiddle with the trimmer, which I assume is to calibrate the wet volume (?), nothing. My diodes aren't tripped. I got my 4 matched 2N5952 from GuitarPCB. My wiring looks good to me. Any help is appreciated. Have I build an expensive MUTE button? lol

Hope you guys can help me!

Thanks!

20221108_102741.jpg

Well I would start by putting my black lead at pin 4 of one of the ic’s and then check pin 8 of each they should all be around 9 depending on your power source.

Look up how to make an audio probe it’s the most useful tool for trouble shooting other than a multimeter. It allows you to follow the signal through the circuit. Basically you’ll need a 1/4” jack, some wire and a 100n film cap. Attach one leg of the film cap to the tip of the jack attach your wire to the other leg probably 8-12” solid core wire. Take an alligator clip attach that to the ring attach the other end of it to your ring on your input jack of the pedal. Plug your amp into this jack, attach your guitar or a looper is real handy here if you’ve got one to the input of the pedal. Turn your amp down pretty low. The tip of the wire will pick up any audio signal and send it to your amp.

Found the problem: loose solder on one the the wire goin' from the 3pdt to the main board. Now I just have to search this forum since it doesn't Phase at all! 😣
I saw threads on that. Time for some reading!
Thanks guys!

Hi @Atharanic, your English is fine! And glad you are here!

Glad you got the sound issue solved.

About the phasing, if you got the 2N5292's from GuitarPCB you should be good to go and can rule out the transistors.
They look correctly oriented. Is that an actual 250k trimpot? As I recall, it was a bit fiddly getting it to the right spot where it actually produced phasing. It's a very narrow window, so I would re-check that. Set full counterclockwise and and start with as small movements on the dial as physically possible until you've worked through the full range. Make sure your rate knob is at least at 12 o-clock when adjusting the trimmer.

Reactions: fig
Awesome! Glad to hear you got it working!
You can mark this thread as "Solved" by editing your original post and selecting the "Prefix" drop down badge for "Solved". It helps with the hygiene of this forum. Thanks!

Back