XC PHASE

GizzWizzKing

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
It's been a long time coming. I feel bad for not posting for this community and I'm gonna make up for it.

If I hadn't been blessed by our dear @fig then I may have never done it. But I 'won' a gift of matched transistors and when I asked he said this is the way to go.

Dialing in the phase was fun. This is just a strum and spin that trimmer till you hear that lush swoosh.

The XC Phase.... It does the thing. It has been on my board since day one. I like to play loud... And dang this thing plays nice loud. I play for people occasionally. It blends well into a group setting. It's got some chew but I don't think I would describe it as a chewy phaser. The slow settings are legendary. Occasionally I will spin the dial to get some fun rotary vibes for a lead line. I could almost put the speed knob on a switch between the slowest setting for rock and the highest settings for getting weird with solo parts. I keep the toggles as pictured mostly. Switching them live gives a pretty good pop sound through your amp but hey... It's rock and roll... Let's not get hung up on the little stuff.

This was early in my building career. Looking back I am impressed it's not worse. Flux warning. But I love the thing.

Decal is a waterslide. Just basic swirl pattern. I think it fits. I also inverted the top drill template for lower jacks and a higher dc jack for some reason. Trying to reinvent the wheel I guess. It's nothing you haven't seen. But it is really good and deserves some love. UV LED because purple.

Attachments

• PXL_20231129_013542158.jpg
    PXL_20231129_013542158.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20231129_013336995.jpg
    PXL_20231129_013336995.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 56
Good looking build! I really dig that design, too.
I appreciate that! I think this was my first batch of waterslides. wanted to try the film ones first and then eventually try some film free. Sadly, I always get impatient and end up just building the pedal and doing no decal despite having ideas for graphics. oh well.

I appreciate that! I think this was my first batch of waterslides. wanted to try the film ones first and then eventually try some film free. Sadly, I always get impatient and end up just building the pedal and doing no decal despite having ideas for graphics. oh well.

I really love no-film. It's what I use on all of my builds and it can look really great of you get a nice print. If you've got a LaserJet and don't want to do UV printing I'm not sure you can do better.

I really love no-film. It's what I use on all of my builds
That Dizzy Elk you posted a bit back looked awesome! I have some no film slides and access to my work printer. I am just a complete newb at doing my own designs and feel weird just going to the internet and stealing images even for personal use. That was on the list for 2024 to research and try my hand at.

That Dizzy Elk you posted a bit back looked awesome! I have some no film slides and access to my work printer. I am just a complete newb at doing my own designs and feel weird just going to the internet and stealing images even for personal use. That was on the list for 2024 to research and try my hand at.

I'm with you on that. @SYLV9ST9R did the artwork for the Dizzy Elk. I think that everything else these past couple of years has been AI generated or generously created by Sly and another friend of mine not on the forum.

I really enjoy the hands on part of building, but anything requiring creating art on a computer I just don't seem to have very much patience for. I'm working on it (slowly 😂)

Seriously, if it’s for personal use, don’t feel bad. Even then, you can easily convert them to vector and modify them to your liking. And there are tons of rights-free images if you search a bit.

I really love no-film. It's what I use on all of my builds and it can look really great of you get a nice print. If you've got a LaserJet and don't want to do UV printing I'm not sure you can do better.
100% agreed. I only use film free decals now. With proper application followed by a clearcoat, to my eye they are virtually indistinguishable from most UV prints (including the slightly raised edges on the lettering and designs). After spending somehere around $10 or $15 per enclosure at Tayda to do my UV printing, it’s amazing to be able to get roughly the same effect for 20 pedals for the cost of a $20 pack of film free decal paper - without having to jump through all of the various “file preparation” hoops you need to do to avoid getting a UV print job kicked back to be corrected.

The only downside is that you don’t get a white layer to make your colors pop, so you have to be a bit more thoughtful about the colors of enclosures you use and what types of colors and designs you can put on them.

Mike

...I could almost put the speed knob on a switch between the slowest setting for rock and the highest settings for getting weird with solo parts. ...

go-for-it-tease.gif

2knob-job, either hand-wired or PCB from GPCB — MOONN or MAS effects might have them too, can't recall.

You could have it with an internal trimmer set for slowest or fastest and then stomp-switch between that and the external speed knob — or have two external speed knobs.

Sadly, I always get impatient and end up just building the pedal and doing no decal despite having ideas for graphics. oh well.
That's why I don't start the build until I have the enclosure finished. It's just too tempting to box it up as soon as it comes off the bench.

That's why I don't start the build until I have the enclosure finished. It's just too tempting to box it up as soon as it comes off the bench.
Treat yourself with an Auditorium for Xmas. This helps you to run your build and to decide afterwards, if its worth to box it or not.

Back